Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones -The Thunderthief (new album)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Overall it's too early to say, but: The first track struck me as Zooma part two, but things got much more interesting after that. I haven't listened to it enough to make any real judgement, but so far the ice fishing piano song is quite a stand out. Just wanted to give a heads up as JPJ does not get his fair share of publicity!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I still can't find a copy! JPJ played several tunes from the new album when he was here in Chicago in November, and they were outstanding.

3. Excellent. I'm getting my copy of The Thunderthief, as well as Tony Levin's Pieces of the Sun, either today or Monday.

Amazon's targeted advertising can sometimes be quite effective.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVED Zooma, but the Thunderthief seems to be a bit more adventurous in pushing the boundaries of the last album beyound what Jonesy has done before. So far, my initial impressions are that the Stick parts are much clearer and easier to follow on this recording. Of course, you have a different player playing the parts, but the parts seem to be recorded better, played with more accuracy (and less chaos), and are not as heavily distorted. Much more melodic overall. JPJ RULES...Jonsey, not me! ;)

5. Just picked up The Thunderthief. So far I like it better than Zooma. I didn't think I would EVER find a copy of it.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I liked Zooma better;) I kinda wish he would do at least one album with some band..........the basslines
    he wrote for "songs" where always great!

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I liked it but like Jerry I dug Zooma a little more!
    Great interviews this month on JPJ in both Bassics Magazine and Vintage Guitar.

8. I thought "Angry Angry" was the funniest thing I'd heard in months! :D

9. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I seem to recall hearing on "Sound Opinions" (www.soundopinions.net) that everything on the album was recorded live, with everyone in the studio playing as a unit. Pretty impressive if you consider that angle, and a generally cool album regardless!