Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpiralEyes123, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Do an of you guys know what rig John Paul Jones from Zeppelin used ?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He used an Acoustic 370. Not sure about the cabs though.

3. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Back in the early 70's he used Acoustic 360's, usually with two bottoms when I saw them at gigs. On their new DVD he was using the same 360 with two bottoms at the concerts.

I am not sure what JPJ is using now, I believe he toured about a year or two ago, maybe with the Zooma album material, heard it was pretty cool.

BC :cool:

4. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    I've been using mine quite a bit lately. My Mesa D-180 is in for a cap job after 20 years and my guitarist put a can of Mountain Dew down the vent of my M-Pulse 600, he paying by the way!!

Anyhow, after 32 years it is still moving walls. Had it in for a check up and the tech said it's still cranking great. Has 200 watts and an 18" in a folded horn cabinet.

GREAT back massage!!!!

BC :cool:

5. Their was an interview with him in Bass Player this year.He said the first amp that worked for him was the Acoustic 360.Later he went with Galien Krueger heads and Cerwin Vega cabinets and he really liked that setup.Last I heard he was using a SWR rig mixed with a Marshal stack to add grit.One of my favorite players,try to play some of his early stuff,he smokes.

6. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I think he uses two SWR SM-900, two Goliath II and two Big Ben.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The SWR rig is supplemented with a Fender Tonemaster guitar amp to dirty up the highs. I believe he uses the high output from the crossover as a send to the guitar amp.

I've also seen pics of his rack where there is an IOD over the SM900.

8. My band plays a lot of Led Zeppelin. Its kinda funny because my guitarist looks like Jimmy Page. I liked the first & second album but I think 3 & 4 were their best.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    John Paul Jones was THE musician in Led Zepplin. Page was/is the king of slop, but they were light years ahead of anyone else at the time.

10. Yep. When I saw the Led Zep II (Whole Lotta Love) tour JPJ was using a pair of Acoutic 360 amps with matching bottoms. I still remember the great sound he got from those things.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The cabs were Acoustic 301's. 18" Cerwin Vega's in a folded horn configuration. Heavy as hell. Definitely would want a couple of roadies for those!

12. Folded-horn Cerwin-Vega cabs produced some of the genuinely great rock bass tones of all time. John Wetton used 'em with King Crimson (powered by Hiwatt DR103s).

When I saw JPJ open for Crimson two years back, he was using what appeared to be a Henry the 8x8 (it might have been a pair of Goliaths or even a Megoliath, I'm not sure) and what was definitely a Big Bertha. I'm not sure about the amps. His tone was smokin'.