Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    He´s amazing...my God! I´m so hypnotized with the riff in "Dazed and Confused"!

ok what do you think of him...and please post your fave Zep songs...i;m a Zep Newbie and I will buy some albums...maybe the Zeppelin I first.

2. fave Zep songs/ basslines;

Ramble On
    What Is And What Should Never Be
    Good Times Bad Times
    The Song Remains The Same
    The Crunge
    Over The Hills And Far Away
    The Lemon Song
    Communication Breakdown

very influenced by James Jamerson/ other Motown players. he did go for the "root, fifth, octave" phrase a lot, maybe a bit too often sometimes, IMHO....

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I liked JPJ since I first heard back in 6th grade(1970?...I received Led Zep III for my 12th birthday). Though Plant/Page got the accolades, I do remember Page sayin' in a magazine interview, "...JPJ is the 'real' musical genius in Led Zep".
    Looking at JPJ's style NOW, I can hear a Jamerson/Motown influence is some of his lines. "Good Times, Bad Times" has some Jamerson-type groovin' in the change(+ a couple of pseudo-Jazzy fills). IMO, that's cool! Then again, in that particular time frame, what British band worth their ass wasn't influenced by American R&B?

Other tunes I like-
    "Ramble On"
    "What Is & What Should Never Be"
    ...both from Led Zep II; both in a mellow, melodic vibe with a "rockin' chorus".
    "Four Sticks"...a 5/8 ostinato
    "The Crunge"...a 5/4 Funky groove
    "The Ocean"...I like the groove/figure over the verses & how that odd bar of fits in(2 bars of 4/4 + a bar of 7/16). Some quasi-"swing" on the outro(kinda) ;)
    "The Wanton Song"...Rock/Funk; good tune to practice your octaves & plucking hand(string-skipping). It's a bear...;)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The Rain Song

Jones doesn't play a very complex part on this song, but it's still beautiful.

and of course, Ramble On, the first Zeppelin song I learned to play, even though it was damn hard i didn't want to learn any other song

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    JPJ is a master all right. Every tune is an example of one or more of the following:

Great tone
    Great note choices or riffs
    Great sense of space or "when not to play"

The last being the most important, of course....

One of the few bassists who could manage to be melodic and heavy at the same time. Recently deceased Allen Woody of Gov't Mule is another good example of this.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Thanks guys i´ll check him out...

John Paul Jones
    John Entwistle
    Geezer Butler...

uhmmm...all from the same era...WHAT HAPPENED TO ROCK BASS????

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Oh God...don't get me started! My "Old-Fartiness" will be displayed in all it's glory...

8. Check out JPJ's solo CD "Zooma" and you will get an even better idea about his contributions to Zep and find out the man can still play the bass & other stuff too.

9. the lemon song got me in to JPJ, sweet walkin durning the solo

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I remember saying in a thread here not too long ago that I thought JPJ was over rated. Well, I've been listening to Zeppelin today, and I repent! It's true what people have said here, that he could groove, and considering he had Jimmy Page to contend with, he certainly managed to shine in the group.

On best Zep songs, I've got to pick three that don't really feature John Paul as much as others that have been mentioned, but were real classics:

Heartbreaker
    Kashmir
    Stairway To Heaven (Of course!)

One of the things that I think has been overlooked a lot about Led Zep was, seeing how they were all session players before forming the band, how versatile they were - they managed to pull off heavy metal, glam rock, R & B, folk, and funk, and as JimK says, they were good with unusual time signatures. But the less said about their stab at reggae on D'Yer Maker, the better...

11. Les;

If you are going to buy Led Zepplin albums, then you might as well buy the box set. Every Led Zepplin song is great!

On my profile I listed John as my #1 influence. I admire his skill, ability and knowledge of music and of the bass. John stands on his own and I feel he is so underrated. My sound as a bass player can be directly linked to him.

Listen to his groove and how well he and John Bonim hook up on every song they play.

My favorite Led Zep song is "What Is And What Should Never Be." What an amazing bass line he created!

----------------------------
    :D

12. the crunge and the lemon song

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    He is a big influence over here with me. I think he held his own with Page as well, and as someone has stated before, prevented them from becoming just another hard rockin band. If you look at old Zep vidoes and flims, he is rarely on screen, and is so quiet and subdued. me and my buddy used to joke that when they got together to write songs, he would sit in the corner, only nodding his head yes or no, and jamming away, and when he got what they wanted hed crack a nasty grin. i bet thats the way it was.

14. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I'm not much on Led Zep, but my favorite JPJ bassline is "Immigrant Song". also, he's a great keyboard player ("Trampled Underfoot", "Rain Song" and "No Quarter" spring immediately to mind).

15. I hate how in "The Song Remains the Same", JPJ is barely shown, and when he is, its usually on keyboards.

16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.

Where's that confounded bridge?

17. I think my favourite John Paul Jones bass line would have to be Dazed and Confused -- the first thing I ever played on bass (and I did it wrong too because my brother [a guitarist {shudder}] taught me).

If I were to get a Led Zepplelin album the first one I'd go for would be Led Zeppelin II -- that has to be my favourite (though I can't really rate them).

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and if you wanna hear Led Zep LIVE, opt for the The BBC Sessions over The Song Remains The Same soundtrack.
    "Dazed & Confused" is a classic 12/8 Blues line(good practice for that sorta vibe).

19. My fav zep song has to be the ocean, only cause of the vocal solo, plant, page and jones singing, nothing can be better.

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    "Dazed and Confused" is one of my all-time favorite tunes to play, too. I play in a 3-piece blues-rock band, and we seem to have a particularly good handle on that song. I love to pull it out when there's other musicians in the house and watch the jaws drop! It's an easy song to really lose yourself...I always feel like I'm about to foam at the mouth afterwards.