1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Paul Jones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Does anyone have a clue on what amp(s) or effects he used back in the Zeppelin days????

2. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I saw Led Zeppelin (w/John Bonham on drums)in the early 70's in Syracuse, NY...LOUDEST band I've ever heard...I believe JPJ was using what appeared to me as a gigantic "Orange" (brand name) amp...I'm also sure that he was going through their monster PA system...

3. Okay, well don't hold me to this stuff. I believe that John Paul Jones was using 2 Cerwin Vega 2x15's during his Zeppelin days. With like a GMT 600 power amp (I think that's a Crown model... could be Orange..., but I could be wrong too). You can check all of the guys old gear list out at http://www.led-zeppelin.org/generalinfo/geninfo1.html . We all know that JPJ is playing the SWR now. It would be neat to see if anyone else can dig up a vintage gear lest for them. Hope this helps
    Peace,
    -Nate

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I saw them in early 69 in Toronto at the Rockpile. JPJ was playing his Fender Jazz through two Acoustic 360 amps. Each amp was driving a single 18" rear mounted Cerwin-Vega speaker in a reflex cabinet made by Acoustic. The place shook!!
    There was a time in late 68 when Rickenbacker was supplying their Transonic 200 Series amps. JPJ was reported to have used two Transonic heads driving two Transonic cabinets each loaded with a 30" and two 12"s speakers. This didn't last for more than 6 months, then he switched to the Acoustic 360's.
    Cheers

5. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    im sure over the years JPJ used many different kinds of amps but i know one of however many he had was a acoustic 360 the same as jaco, and graham used