John Paul Jones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Never realised how good John Paul Jones was (Led Zeppelin bassist). But now I have - he's amazing! He has to be one of the best bassline writers going (yes he still plays, but I can't remember who with).

'Lemon Song' in particular has a cool bassline. People always go on about Jimmy Page but, for me, the bassist and drummer were the best things about Zep. That's my tuppence worth anyway...
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I saw him here in Chicago this past November - amazing! I can hardly wait for his new album to be released the first week of February.

Zooma hardly ever leaves my CD player...
  3. I saw him on the Zooma tour, And he was incredible!. I even got his autograph!

I just wish he'd come back to Texas.
  4. i saw him too...amazing lap steel and still kicks majorly on bass...i love this guy...Zeppelin would have been nothing without him
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    my fav 2 zepplin albums for bass were zeplin 2 and coda! And yes he is a god! Him and Jack Bruce were the guys who got me started!
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Not only is he an amazing bass player but as an all around musician he is incredible. I also saw him on the Zooma tour opening for King Crimson.
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    he's very very veeeeery Good!

i only have the BBC sessions double cd and its great, loved the tone on disc 1 but in disc 2 sounds kinda "Entwisle" *not that is a bad thing*... :D

also his keyboard arrangements are great *as in Stairway to heaven*

9. Thank you very much Funkster! :D :D :D

You just made my day!!!
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    No doubt, JPJ is worth his weight in gold and then some in a band situation. He was a perfect fit for the band, an all around talent with good instincts.

The Lemon Song has always been one of my favs for listening to JPJ get loose.
  11. oh man...the first time i ever heard "Ramble On"...

he's probably influenced my playing more than almost any musician on the face of this planet...
  12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ditto for me. I basically learned to play bass by learning the songs off Led Zeppelin II. Of course, I've been influenced by others, too, but JPJ is the biggest influence.
  13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    JPJ is one of those players who influenced me without my recognizing it. I always listened to Zep, but never made a concerted effort to play like him. But, when I listen to things I've recorded, I can tell he's been a BIG influence on me. That says a lot, IMO.
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Anytime Cat!
    I love how he's just sittin around at his hotel just farting around, I would love to sit down with him for a afternoon and just hang out....:D
    That would be cool!!
  15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Wouldnt that just be awsome! Sit down enjoy a beer and jam for awhile!
  16. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I like the fact that you can still understand him in interviews and that his speech hasn't been killed due to hard living (Keith Richards).:eek:

Most people give Jimmy Page credit for alot of Zeppelin riffs not realizing that JPJ wrote the majority of the riffs. C'mon man, just listen to "Black Dog" and decide for yourself.

If you haven't seen "The Song Remains the Same" then check it out. Even though the majority of it shows Page and Plant, you still get some footage of JPJ and of course there is the audio aspect of the whole thing as well.:D
  17. Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    have you never heard the John Paul Jones album made with the great Diamanda Galas? If not i suggest you to do it. Listen to it and then tell me something about.
    I really love his stile in this record, and with Diamanda's voice everything sounds great!!!
  18. wow, cool site! didn't know it until now. Very cool vids of J.P. Jones. After checking out his vid's I also viewed the Billy Sheehan video's man can he play! think I'll go and listen to some Niacin again....
  19. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    JPJ is probably my biggest influence. listening to him got me started on bass. i love the lines he writes. and to repeat what others say, he's great in a band situation. great player!

20. I have him listed as my number one (#1!) influence for wanting to play the bass. I feel John Paul's bass tone and rhythmic bass lines has set the standard for hard kick-ass rock.:D