Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Ritter- 8 Simple Rules

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Did anyone see the "dedication" episode that was just on about his death? It was a very touching episode.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It was great, and very touching.....but I genrally like my entertainment to be less mournful.

RIP

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I thought they did a very good job with a very tough subject.

I certaily didn't envy the position they were in. Just cancelling the show wasn't an option.

Sure, it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I thought it was a very touching tribute to John's character, and to John.

I'm certainly glad they didn't try to gloss it over and simply have a new actor portray the character. And, in these times, the reality is that there are quite a few families that have gone through this very thing. Why shouldn't there be a tv show where the father has died in his prime?

Healing from a devastating loss is painful.
    If the show's writers continue with the grace which they showed in last night's episode, I think the series will be able to buck the trend of the few other shows in this situation (Chico and the Man, the Redd Foxx show), and survive past the curiosity factor.

I wish them well.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I missed the first 10 minutes....watched the rest, though.
    Wow.
    It was pretty sad.
    It's one thing when the writers 'kill off' a cast member(e.g. Henry Blake on M*A*S*H)...this was real & it felt real.

Personally, it's good they're trying to keep the ball rolling.
    Honestly, I'm not seeing how they can rebound back to being a comedy.

I wish them well, too.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think the M*A*S*H writers did an exceptionally good job with that subject.

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, they did a good job with that--the cast didn't even know what Radar was going to say when he came in the O.R. So, the expressions you saw were real, in the context of the show. It was a sucker punch to everyone there.

The big difference is that McLean Stevenson hadn't really died.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    His career certainly did...

-robert

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, he did die in 1996.

His career appears to have been successful enough since he worked up until his death.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829004/

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Touche! :)

-robert

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While he did indeed keep working, I seriously doubt his intentions upon leaving "M*A*S*H*" (a humongous hit at the time) were to end up doing a string of failed TV series, highlighted by "Hello, Larry". He was the prototype for David Caruso;)

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I never said he was successful in a string of hits. ;) Just that he didn't have to get a job at Denny's to make ends meet.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know, I agreed that he did keep working. OTOH...

Did you ever see "Hello Larry"? Might've been a toss-up with Dennys;)

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I watched it from like 10 minutes in, it was a sad episode, but still had humor.

The stuff that I liked a whole lot that they did on it, was got rid of the laugh tracks. There were a few parts when they made jokes, and instead of hearing people laugh, I just laughed out loud. I probably wouldn't have done it if the laughing was there.