1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Stockfish / Rick Haynes Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Two very highly underrated bassists who worked for the same band at diffeeent times. I used to be a folkie in a previous life, and these guys' playing was about all I took with me from those days.

http://www.lightfoot.ca/evoluton.htm

2. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Absolutely love their work...and Rick Haynes' thick, slightly distorted, midrangy full 70's tone. I saw a DVD from the early 2000's and Rick was STILL using that 70's tone, fully audible with roaring growling slides and bouncing percussive fills full of song-enhancing aggressive melodic bass mastery from a bygone era. It's actually insulting that hardly no one on Talkbass knows who Rick Haynes is.

3. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Roxbororob likes this.
  4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Glad I found this old thread! Rick Haynes is a wonderful bassist--I grew up listening to Lightfoot with my old man, and I think Haynes always and completely served the song. Clarity, groove, and taste.

5. Absolutely love Rick Haynes playing (I'm a huge Lightfoot fan). He and Terry Clements (lead guitar) really gelled with Gordon's voice, lyrics, and "atmosphere".

skwee likes this.
  6. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Again...someone check out the tone and the great slides on this clip...

7. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    C'mon someone give ye ole Rick Haynes some props...

8. 2manynotes

2manynotes

Jun 22, 2012
    Stockfish on "The Watchman's Gone" and "Sundown" is outstanding.

Roxbororob and Velofixer like this.
  9. Velofixer

Velofixer

Jan 6, 2016
    For a good, clear listen to John Stockfish and Gordy's late guitarist Red Shea, listen to a late 60's LP called "Back Here on Earth." Start with "Long Thin Dawn" for crazy-good backing parts.

10. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Bump.

The band is switching it up a little and we are doing some Gordon Lightfoot songs. I never realized how much I (subconsciously) liked the bass parts...until I had to learn them.