John Taylor of Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bearclaw, Mar 16, 2001.

1. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Awesome thread! Over a decade old! JT, via Zuma, got me into the bass. Love his syncopated, funky style. Such a shame more people don't appreciate his talents!!

2. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Hello mhartman! Thanks for the mention. Have you heard Pressure Off? There is a live version out there and you can hear the bass real nice. Major slapfest! John really does those double thumps really well, like in Some Like It Hot. :cool:

3. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Hi Zuma! No I hadn't heard that song yet. Thanks for the tip. FUNKY!

4. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
  5. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    Anyone able to identify this bass? Seems to have been used somewhat recently.

vlcsnap-2015-08-11-19h18m16s808_zpsnwj1xtws.png

6. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Hmmm... he was using a 5 string from a British luthier that this one reminds me of. The luthier's name started with an S?

7. Hugorj

Hugorj

Aug 16, 2015
    Hello everyone! My name is Hugo and this is my first post here. I can say I'm a big fan of John's work, I think he's the best bassist. I'm here to help make new tabs, check those that are made and contribute what I can to do a big tabs acquis.. Where you post the tabs, right here in this forum or somewhere specific local?
    I'm working on Paper Gods (from Paper Gods - 2015)... I'm looking for tabs to Pressure Off, Some Like It Hot and Election Day

Cheers

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The logo on the headstock looks like it's a Sandberg.

9. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    My buddy Alex reminded me it's a Sei. I think he's had a 5 string of theirs for a while. I'm not entirely sure. This one is obviously a 4 string. I would say it's a "P-Modified" customized with that MM humbucker: Sei basses.

10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sandberg uses some MM style humbuckers in the bridge position for a number of their basses, too. And while the logo looks like a Sandberg, the headstock not so much.

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    The logo on John's headstock is 100% Sei.

12. PJFlatts

PJFlatts

Sep 4, 2014
    Nevada
    Hello Hugo.Welcome to TB. There is another forum for tabs:

Tablature [BG] | TalkBass.com

I do not know if there much there that you are looking for - best of luck!

Hugorj likes this.
  13. Hugorj

Hugorj

Aug 16, 2015
    Thanks, PJFlatts.

You usually do tabs for Taylor sounds and write here in this thread?

14. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    John Taylor alert! He is on the cover of Bass Player's October issue. It's a pretty decent interview though the basses used section seems a little suspicious. It claims he uses BXP Cirrus basses and an Aria SB-1000 among others. From the studio footage we've seen the Aria seems to be a 700. I highly doubt he's using the cheaper BXPs as well. Then again, they're not really producing the USA versions right now. Though, you might figure, for him Peavey might dust off the templates.

15. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

me too

Ordinary World is a fun bassline too

16. nofrets5

nofrets5 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Ferndale, MI, USA
    Oh, there is more recent studio footage?

17. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    This is part 1. You should be able to jump off to parts 2 and 3 from there.

18. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Does it bother anyone else that they mention "Gibson" and "Fender" guitars, only to show a beautiful Aria bass and group it in with an "other names"? Screw that! That Aria defines the Duran Duran sound!

19. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    A little bit, yeah. Poor ol' Nick doesn't know the Aria magic well enough. He knows his synths though!

20. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021