John Taylor of Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bearclaw, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Well, saw Duran Duran in Reno last weekend. My girlfriend was totally bored the whole time, but I thought they did a solid set. I could have done with less of their dancey crap from their Girl Panic, etc days. By the time it was over, I thought they hadn't even scratched the surface of their solid tunes, but then I realized they'd been playing for over 90 minutes.
    John switched between a 4 string and 5 string Peavey Cirrus bass. The five string sounded best. He also played out of an 8x10 Peavey cab on stage. He really is Peavey through and through.

2. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    John's been a Peavey fan back to 1980. Bonus points if you can identify his bass amp head in this photo.

10153020_640486559363190_8692757000269707031_n.jpg

3. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Mark III 400?

4. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    Showoff! ;)

peavey_crop.jpg

Attached Files:

5. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    :smug:

6. Everybody played through Peavey back in the 80's.

7. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Oh man. That woman with the blue glasses for a timeless photobomb!

8. I thought that was some Nick Rhodes fan boy.

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Saw them about 4 years ago and Duran Duran were better than when I'd seen them in the 90s. John was a great live player.

zuma likes this.
  10. mhartman29

mhartman29

Mar 23, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Hey this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask this anyway. I love the bass on Careless Memories. But, I've noticed in DDs official video for this song and this live video, JT seems not to be playing with his right hand. Looks to me like showing off. But, he appears to be fingering with his left hand. So, what's the deal? I thought maybe he was just looking flashy in the official video, but why is he doing this live?

11. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    This post brings back memories (no pun intended!). When I was a budding bass player of 13 or so I asked an older player I knew about John's special "slapping technique" in the Careless Memories video. I thought he'd tell me it was his special pickups combined with some invisible delay technique. What he said was something like, "I have no idea." My current opinion on the matter is that it is indeed all flash. I also believe the above video is mimed. Watch this and you will see John come back to his senses and lose the palm-slap technique. :roflmao:

12. goes to 11

goes to 11 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    this bass is made by a guy named Martin - its called an SEI - i have had 3 and am kicking myself that I got rid of them. EXTREMELY high end builder but mega hard to find on the USA market these days. I look every day on eBay.

13. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    Bass Player Live - 2016

tindrum likes this.
  14. Great interview! I should have gone! And sorry John, but Mick Karn was NOT a Jaco fan.

tindrum likes this.
  15. BazzManDu

BazzManDu

May 20, 2020
    What a pleasure to read this perennial thread. And hopefully I’ll get to resurrect it a bit. Been playing bass since 87, very seriously since 1992. I was in awe of Sting’s Police lines, Mark King, Bernard Edwards, Carmine Rojas and of course JT’s melding of funk, soul and rock. I was very blessed to have friends in college who adored the bass more than studying, and I learned a lot from a diehard JT devotee and a roommate from South Africa who played wicked slap bass and helped me with my Time with a capital T. That put me on the gig road for a long spell, for which I’m grateful, but the 90s lost that funky bite the 80s had. It’s been coming back though since 2000 thankfully!

Anyhow I was bored one afternoon in COVID lockdown land, and pulled my bass out of storage (Ibanez SR600 with EMG actives I’d added), and the first lines I started grooving to were Carmine’s work for Bowie in 83, and JT’s Duran licks. Everything came flooding back, reflexive like breathing. My girlfriend walked in and was like “I’ve never heard you do this! You just noodle on guitar...” hey, when you got the groove, you got it and it never goes away. American Science, Notorious, New Religion, Girls on Film, Rio...amazing, great, fun stuff. Never putting down the 4 string again.

In JT news, the man has survived COVID and is showing a weekly series on Facebook on how he built the bass lines for DD songs...so far he’s done Planet Earth, Girls and Rio. Hope he does AVTAK soon, because it’s a killer.

Groove on brothers and sisters and JT fans!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  16. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Three cheers for you! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

It's always great to hear stories like this. Welcome!

mhartman29 and BazzManDu like this.
  17. BazzManDu

BazzManDu

May 20, 2020
    Thanks! By the way Zuma your YouTube vids are in another universe.

FeltTipPen and zuma like this.
  18. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Thank You! You're too kind. Here is my latest in case ya missed it! :cool: -->

Cantstandsya likes this.
  19. Haymaker

Haymaker Inactive

Aug 15, 2020
    IMO John Taylor is up there with John Paul Jones and geezer. Listen to the album RIO loud, dude is sick as they come.

20. Haymaker

Haymaker Inactive

Aug 15, 2020
    Arcadia. So the red rose. Try that one. Mind glowingly good....been listening to it since the day it came out.

PaulYeah and johnnyplaysbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021