Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John the Fisherman (chord) help.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by InKubus, Jan 7, 2004.

1. InKubus

InKubus

Dec 16, 2003
    B.C. Canada
    It's my first post here so hope you guys don't mind helping me out.

I am having trouble in "John the Fisherman" by Primus. The chords (if you can call them that) are easy enough to get in place and I can play it (somewhat).

what i was wondering about was how do you turn your hand into pick to hit those three-note (chords). I have seen some people use the back of their hand but really don't understand how they do it. help plx.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    he is just strumming the chord. flamenco, is just a style of guitar. don't get that confused with anything else, it is just a style, strumming.
    really all that you have to do, is strum the strings with your hand. i guess there are different ways to do it though. but usually its with just the back of your fingers and fingernails.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd recommend if you want to learn how Claypool does it, watch him do it on the "Animals should not try to act like people" DVD.

One thing that's slick about this tune, the strummed part transitions really smooth into the fingerstyle part of the riff. It's Downstroke, Upstroke, Downstroke, and on the next upstroke you naturally set yourself up for the fingerstyle part of the riff. This is my first attempt at playing it, so I just realized that... smoooooth. :p

4. InKubus

InKubus

Dec 16, 2003
    B.C. Canada
    thx for the replys guys/gals.

I had a guy show me how he plays it at school so I am gonna try it out tonight. He desribed the style as making a fist and then while your going down with your arm you flick your fingers out trying to hit the strings w/ your finger nails. then when you bring your arm back up u just reverse the motion and hit the strings with your fingertips.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's a pretty accurate description, sounds like you're on the right road. Good luck. :)