Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Turner´s preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berme, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i would like to know what piezo preamps and buffers you use with your RMC piezo bridge. i´m gonna put RMC Power Bass piezo pickups in my future custom 7-string bass, so, since i love the sound of bass in your instrumental, i´d rather prefer buy a similar (if not the same) preamp and piezo buffer you have. Thanks.:)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey

from what i understand, the RMC comes with a preamp/buffer integrated together. that's what's going on in my rmc-equipped basses. they all have abm bridges with shadow piezos, and the preamps/buffer and eq are all rmc, from my understanding.

good luck with it, if you need any more information about it, drop bill conklin an email at conklin@conklinguitars.com or contact rmc directly at www.rmcpickup.com

3. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    i´ve just emailed RMC. so, for example, in your fretted "blood bass", you are using a Demeter onboard preamp and the RMC piezo preamp off-instrument, if i don´t misunderstand your interview at the Lord Only web. Am i wrong?

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, on that bass, the piezos are connected to a custom buffer that bill conklin and his old electronics guy wired up for me, with a rack unit that came with it that i could use to control the volume and pan of each string. it was a pretty cool unit, but it's not really that useful for me, and i will probably be having that bass and my first fretless both refitted with the rmc setup - that setup predates the RMC setup being available for bass by a few years. the rmc setup is way better - it's got the piezos and the 13 pin roland-style synth out too, works really nicely.

5. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    well, after talking with RMC i´ve decided to use the Power Bass pickup saddles in conjunction with their Poly-Drive I onboard preamp modified for 7-string bass. it also has the 13 pin DIN output jack. so, two more questions: do you know what´s exactly your RMC setup?, and what power supply do these preamps use, one or two 9V batteries (or maybe phantom via 13 pin jack)?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all my rmc basses use 2 9v batteries, but i think the RMC will operate with only one.

7. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    OK, i finally understand (i think):D. So, at the moment you are not using RMC stuff with your blood bass (but you have the intention to). Your 8-string bass uses RMC stuff (synth and piezo), but it also uses RMC preamp with active electronics, doesn´t it? Please say yes, so we can finish this;) .Last thing, when i had my custom bass done, I´ll show pics and talk about it (you will have to wait several months anyway). Thanks for everything.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that would be very cool. who's making it for you? i see that you're in spain, are you going to get jerzy drozd to make it?

9. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    JD, yeah!!!!!!!!Thanks for asking:D. Its´s a luck having in my opinion the world best luthier so close to your home. Mine will be a JD Obsession Prodigy. I will have to work several months before ordering it :( ...:D . It will have, for example, a snakewood top (don´t ask me where i get the money from), 3 Hipshot D-tuners, 7 piece wenge, purpleheart, bubinga 34" neck, 28 frets...It will get near the 5000 $...where can i get info about Lane Poor pups? Their web is out of order.

10. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    sorry, it´s me again:D . Just wanted to post another options in my custom: ebony fretboard with JD´s "quo vadis" mother of pearl inlay; RMC Poly-Drive I onboard preamp modified for bass; neck-thru-body construction; 3 piece wenge/bubinga body with the snakewood top. these basses felt better for me than a custom purpleheart Conklin and a Groove Tools. I know these woods will be heavy and expensive, but it´s my money and meanwhile i can play great basses from my father´s friend. What do you think?

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey

yeah, those jerzy drozd instruments are very nice. lane poor is not in business anymore. there was talk that he was coming back, but that's all i know of it. i haven't seen anything from him in a while.

as for your custom setup, sounds great. are you going to get the 13 pin synth setup? if so, i'd advise using an axon ax100 for the sound source - the roland units can't track below the C on the A string.

12. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    well, i haven´t considered still the option of using a MIDI converter. Although the Axon Ax-100 seems to be the fastest MIDI controller, and the only one suitable enough for a low-b stringed bass, i fear any possible delays with the sound. I don´t feel like using it a lot at the present (but who knows later), anyway, i haven´t played any bass thru this controller, so I can´t talk much...I´m happy you like my custom setup, did you visit the JD basses web? It´s quite good...about RMC, they have emailed me: the piezo saddles with the preamp with an extra buffer for the 7string bass costs...810$!! Another month more working, i guess :rolleyes: ...

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    go for the midi, you'll be glad you did - a whole new world of playing.

14. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    :rolleyes: ok, i guess i will have to give it a try... someday when i had work, lots of money, my own home, family and children...:D I´m still a poor student!!! I´m listening to your instrumental at this moment, i definitively love that bass sound. Reminds me a little like Tool. Are you using here some magnetic pups/piezo blending? Do your basses sound really this way or is production involved? Sorry about asking so much;)

15. Yeah right. When you have your own home a family and kids, you'll have less money than you do now! :D

Your choices on the custom sound like good ones to me. Good luck with it.

16. Chris J-

are the Red Green quotes in your signature from the Red Green Show? With people that live on a lake and try to drain it? And the guy who made a self-contained car washing unit?? If so, that show rocked.

17. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Hey guys, what the hell are you talking about? Who or what is that Red Green? Don´t make me start talking about trying-to-be-funny shows from here in Spain! PLEASE!!:D