John Turner quoted in UK Making Music magazine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Making Music March 2002, p37.

Dave Williamson's "Low Life" bass column.

The four string/five string debate has raged for a long time, prompting sporadic and sometimes very heated exchanges on a bass player's website I visit from time to time.

"No offence, but it's not the number of strings that makes the bassist. This whole "I have more strings than you" is like "my penis is bigger than yours"", stated a member of the pro-four-string lobby on one such occasion.

"That's a very insecure and juvenile approach to an artistic decision. I stopped looking at my bass as an extension of my penis when I was about 18. Then again, I've been playing only 7 and 8 stringed basses for the past 8 yrs", retorted the opposition, huffily.
    Handbags at fifty paces it is then, lads.

sounds like these "heated exchanges" have been quoted from this very forum- what name have you been posting under, Mr Dave Williamson? or are you a lurker?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey! :D i want credit! he should have at least put the url up there.

what was the point of his column? i'd like to read it.

jeeze, he must be browsing the ole' archives. we haven't had that debate in at least a year - note the "8 years" part. i'm at 9 now :D
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you read the first page in that huge post about Rickenbacker's in the basses section, some guy goes on about how if you have more than 4 strings you should just go buy a guitar. :rolleyes:

I don't understand what the big deal about it is. If you play a Tenor Saxaphone but you then buy a Saprano Sax, should you just go get a flute then? :rolleyes: The whole argument against extended range basses is about as stupid as the argument that bassist are not bassist if they play with a pick.

Some guys I do think, get extended range ax's for ego reasons. I see tons of guys with 6 strings and i don't understand why they have them, because they only play 2 of the strings on the thing. But there are other players who utilize the extended range brillantly.

I'm all for progressing the role of bass as long as the primary objective is keeping the groove. Nothing wrong with soloing to me. I hate soloing something, then I have to play up the neck, instead of just dropping down a string to to play what I want. Besides, the high A on a G string isn't going to sound as deep as the same note on a C string.
  4. was that the sound of a big can of worms being opened again?:eek:

re. the magazine article, the guy himself actually uses mainly 5 strings.

he was just talking about the origin of multistring basses- eg. 5 string orchestral double basses existing long before the electric bass had been invented.

but it was something he'd written much the same stuff about in a previous article, - it's a free magazine though, so you can't expect much really.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - that's been around forever in music shops! But I haven't bothered to pick up a copy for about 4-5 years! ;)

I often think that things like TB have actually replaced magazines like this....I'd still be interested if this is one of our "regulars" ...but maybe he is just lurking?

I know another bass player locally who writes reviews for music websites and gets to interview people like John Scofield when they visit the UK (as a bassist,of course, he spent most of the interview asking him about Jaco! ;) ) Maybe the best writers have gone onto the net now....?
  6. it turns out that the writer, Dave Williamson (whose name credit is playing for Midge Ure), has joined a band I tried out for in 2003 called Soul station. small world;)

re. Soul Station, I found an amusing article written about them by Rhodhri Marsden, a bassist/writer/blogger who auditioned for several bands in london and chronicled his findings- published in the Observer.

it made me laugh as his thoughts were very similar to mine.
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What a bloody tosser, I have the only JT quote worth printing!!!!!

8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Holy Smokes! John is almost famous!! :D
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Meh...JT's been on the cusp of fame since long before this thing.

brad cook
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "JT" and "huffy" are two mutually exclusive concepts!
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Except that JT had a Huffy bicycle when he was a kid. The kind with the banana seat and streamers on the grips. :bag:

brad cook
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That brings up painful memories of a top-bar mounted shifter, a slotted sewer grate, and my 'nads.