Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

john turner syndrome

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VoodooChile, Nov 23, 2001.

1. today i went to a local music store to try out some higher end stuff that was previously unavailiable to me (dingwals, zons, pedullas, mtds, fbasses, and so on) the majority of the high end stuff was in the 4 or 5 string format and it turns out my 6 string has spoiled me permenantly! a 4 or even a 5 string neck now feels like crap to me, it feels like a freakin' crayon!

i wasn't able to enjoy playing an f bass because of this.

has anyone else ever had this experience?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    not me. for the moment....

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i've never played more than a 5er for any extended period of time. .but i can still have plenty of fun with a 4... maybe i'm just not spoiled yet.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I felt the same way when I played a 6 exclusively for a couple of years. However, as soon as I spent some time gigging with a 5, the comfort quickly came back.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee. once you turn to the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny. :D

6. one the dingwals i played was a used custom 6 string that had an even shallower neck profile than my cirrus. it was the most comfortable neck i've ever played on...to bad the slap tone sucked, or atleast for me it did. but over all the fingerstyle on it was awesome and it did have the tightest low B i've ever played.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one thing to remember with a used bass is that the strings on it probably are dead, and if it's active, the battery might be dead as well.

always remember that before deciding against a bass that you otherwise like - the tone could be ruined just by dead strings.

8. oh don't get me wrong i'd still buy it if i had the money and slap on some new string and put it a new battery as soon as i got home, but unfortunatetly i would have to trade in my cirrus, sell my stereo, sell myself into slavery, and ask my parents for money in order to afford it.

9. *fat bastard voice on
    Once you've had fat, you never go back!
    *fat bastard voice off

10. VoodooChile,
    The Dingwall 6 strings do have wicked neck profiles. I have a 5 and when I tried out a few sixers I realized that the neck profile is even nicer, it is flatter (probably because of the increased width) and faster.
    I would also say that there is a high probability that the strings were dead. Though I don't claim to be the king of slap (or even the prince), the Dingwall has a nice slap tone too it with a fresh set of strings. The strings may be hard to come by, so the store may not want to restring it. I use it primarily for fingerstyle, and it rocks there, and ohhhh....the B.

Geoff

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i haven't played a 6 string bass that much... when i started playing a 5, I thought I would never touch another 4-string.. then I realized there is alot of fun to be had with just 4-strings... still I do not own a good 4 stringer at the moment though... anybody wanna give me one?? :)

12. Uhoh.. you're not getting a mullet now, are you ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes:

i blame the dutch educational system. sigh. over here in the Good Ole' U. S. of A., we know what is and isn't a mullet.

14. i'm not getting a mullet but i am gonna grow my hair out longer than it was before to a quasi mohawk but not standing straight on end.

15. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    "wicked"
    I didnt know people said wicked in canada (you learn something new everday). A friend of mine was complaining how all the people he went to college with in boston said wicked. He was out shoe shopping once and this guy came up and said "these shoes are wicked waterproof." Things like that just crack me up.
    but i guess californians are at fault too, for saying "hella"

-nik

I'm perfectly happy playing a 4 for now, but am looking into a 5. i don't think JT will ever infect me. :p

16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    :D At least we can be miseducated in multiple languages...

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, that's definitely true. :D