Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Turner Worship post

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HWK2, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Well... Hmmm how to begin:

*kneels and begins to bow to JT!*

I listened to the mp3 you've got in your signiture... OMG :eek: It is AWESOME!

How in gods name do you find time enough in a song to play all 16 strings? or is that why the song is 12 minutes long? :) Those solo's are amazing, dare I say it, I had a hard time figuring out that they weren't guitar.. how is that 16 string tuned? but damn did it sound cool.. Enough cool 80's metal but good quick basslines that made me think of Squire (Yes) actually... I could ramble for ever.. that is awesome.. I should post up something of me playing, only I would get the "Kick HWK2 off of Talkbass" thread started for puting up such crepe... I can play those blues pentatonic scales like no ones buisness though :) LOL :eek:

:cool:

WOW

Good stuff man.. I don't suppose you've got any other songs posted out someplace in cyberspace??

2. Maybe try www.lordonly.net bucko!:D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :eek:

wow...do you owe me money or something? :D seriously, though, thanks for checking it out. yeah, chris squire was a big influence on me, as was geddy lee and steve harris.

on the recording of the instrumental i am playing this bass...

[​IMG]

it's tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-c , where the capital letters correspond to the regular 4-string. it has 28 frets, so i can get up to the high regions as well as go lower than a piano.

one of the things that i am proudest about the instrument is that i composed it - pretty much all the drums and most of the guitars along with the bass and synth. it was the first song i ever wrote, in fact. there is a lot of wanking in it, of course, but hey, it's an instrumental, that's what they are for, right? :D

we are finally beginning the hopefully-not-too-slow process of mixing down our 2 cds, so in the next few weeks i should be putting up some more samples of our other songs with vocals.

4. i downloaded & listened to the mp3 too :)

* also gets down on his knees *

man u really spank those strings ! :D

specially the part from 05:33 till 06:42 seriously kicks hairy butt !

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    cut the foreplay and just ask

:D

6. I........quit.........no..........more........bass.........for........me.........scared..........sh*tless........

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you guys just gotta stop :D

i'm blushin' so bad, i'm matchin' my underpants :eek:

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    OK JT, you know its time I take you down on the ground.

You suck - ok?

;)

/lovebown

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks, guys. phew. i was getting worried there for a minute :D

10. John, you think your so bad huh? I can do all that and then some on a 4 string!

:D

11. Ah ha, I knew I heard some Squire in you :)

omg... that bass is too big... it must weigh about a thousand pounds.. how can you wear that? :eek:

I look forward to hearing some of that other stuff, that song is just badass! :cool:

:eek:

William

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Just stay away from his Kool-Aid.

(Okay, that was bad. I'm sorry).

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You should see a pic of his double neck Conklin! That thing is truly a monster (but oh so very cool.)
    Yeah, the man can play, I have the mp3 burned onto a mix CD that I play in my car. (please don't sue me:D, I'll buy your album when it comes out anyway.) Maybe it's the carrots.....

14. I just spent the 45 minutes downloading the song. I must say...wow. I always thought progressive music was just like, fruity, airy...crap. But this is good. Maybe if I had listened to some of it before...

Anyway...JT...you are my hero. :) Do you think one of those 7 strings would work in a punk band? :)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

that's us - the cure for fruity airy prog. :D i love it, i think that will go on our web page - thanks.

anything will work that you want to make work. you know what i always thought would be cool - taking a 6 or 7 string and stringing it up with double strings. especially if you play with punk with a pick- imagine a bass tuned like this - B-B-E-E-D-D-G . then SMACK those chord with a big ole wind-mill pick swipe. BAM-POW! that would be cool.

thanks for checking out the song :)

EDIT(JT) : originally said "play with a punk". doh.

16. I think your just finding another excuse to buy another custom Conklin :)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're probably right, jr. :D

18. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    That is a phrase of phrases :D

BTW: That song is AMAZING. The lines around 4:10 and 6:10 are so awsome. I really dont know how to describe how rad that song is.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    JT tHaT sOnG rOcKs WhEn R u GoInG 2 pOsTs ThE tAbZ?!/