John Webber?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JohnBarr, Jan 18, 2005.

1. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    I caught a set by the George Coleman quartet over the weekend in Boston, at Scullers.

John Webber was on bass. Heck of a player. Did a hell of a solo on Sentimental Mood (did a couple good solos, but that one really got attention).

Great style, very relaxed. Seems to have double jointed fingers.

2. samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    yeh john webber is great. i had lessons with him on 2 different trips to NY. he often plays with jimmy cobbs mob. solid player, great sound, gut strings & real melodic. heck of a guitarist too
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Neal Miner studied with him for a minnit, he seems to be the main non-Marsalis proponent of the NoAmp sound. Really wonderful player, big sound.
  4. samriley

Jul 14, 2008
    yep neal is great too. i saw them play together at smalls a few years ago. johns gig, he was playing guitar. man i'd like to get back to nyc sometime soon...
  5. TGarv515

Oct 20, 2009
    I got the pleasure to see John Webber play at the Child of the Sun Jazz festival. He is fantastic! He actually played my upright, made it sound like it has never sounded before. Quick hands, great knowledge of the instrument and fantastic tone!