1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Wetton interview (late 1970s)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by StanFan, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I know there are lots of John Wetton fans on these forums (myself included), so I'd thought I'd post this interview I stumbled across. It's part 1 of 4. The rest are in the guy's profile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2IuV_onpps

There are quite a few good interviews in his profile. He used to host an old cable show in the 70s and 80s. Some of the most interesting interviews I've seen in months (especially for a King Crimson fan). :)

2. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Excellent find. Thanks for posting. I've always wondered about this period of Crimson, what they thought about it, how it was constructed, etc.

3. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    wow, that just led me to a 4-hour youtube journey
    going from the wetton interview (awesome) to a '81
    interview with adrian belew, to more king crimson
    stuff.

the wetton interview was great, but it was funny how
    he said "Bill (bruford) is a great rock drummer but not
    a very good jazz drummer", i got a good laugh out of that.

i always thought wettons tone with KC in the mid-70's
    was awesome - going thru that ampeg got a great
    growly sound, he wasn't afraid of distortion at all..

-carl

4. I wonder if he's changed his mind since then.

5. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Well, at the time, Bruford would probably agree.....if you have read his interviews...

6. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I remember seeing John when he toured with Uriah Heep on their High and Mighty tour and have been a fan ever since.

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    If he has it may have as much to do with Bill actually improving as a jazz drummer over the years. Listen to Bruford's feeble attempt to swing on Jamaaladeen Tacuma's "Sparkle" circa 1979 versus the most recent Earthworks recordings and you realize that, while Bill Bruford may have always identified with jazz drummers, he couldn't always play like the best of them. Or even like the most average of them.

That's one of the things I like best about Bruford, btw: He's always learning.

8. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    He used Hiwatt with KC.
    [​IMG]

See the maple-necked Jazz Bass as a spare. I wonder if he ever had to use that during a Crimso gig in case of a broken string 'cause his attack was so hard.

I recall reading an interview from Melody Maker issue (1976) where he says he used (on Uriah Heep tour) Ampeg SVT heads and some cabs (not 8x10") and also a Hiwatt stack behind them for the high end. He also mentions that black Jazz Bass and a Rick 4001 but says he prefers the Precision 'cause the others had "too many knobs".

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thanks for posting those links.