Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Wetton slapping? In '73?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 17, 2002.

1. On the title track of King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black, it sounds as if John Wetton is slapping, but I can't really tell.

I'm not aware of too many guys who weren't Larry Graham or Stanley Clarke slapping in '73...

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    No, I doubt that Wetton was slapping. I got to see him with King Crimson around '74, and I'd say it was the aggressive attack on the Fender with the Hiwatt and the 4x12 cabs.

3. Logging in a shocked. I would have guessed that about 100 bass players put on this track to answer this quesion today.
    I have to go with gweimer
    I never saw JW play it but I have seen Tony play it and he switches from pick to finger playing through the song. The octave parts with a pick which do have the aggresive tone of slapping.

Thanks for bringing it up, hadn't listened to that disk for a while.

4. Ah, I was wondering about that. I know that he dug in like crazy, but he gets these thump sounds on that track...

gruffpuppy, I think you're thinking of "Starless," and I didn't know that KC has ever played "Starless" live since the first Big Breakup in 1974.

5. But wait, it gets worse than that, Ok to late to blame lack of Coffee so, um, yeah I am really tired.

Ok to come clean I was thinking Larks Tongue in Aspic.