Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Wetton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was looking through my old cassettes and found a John Wetton Best of with a lot of material from groups like UK. I always loved his sound and I admired the fact that he could play what he didi while singing lead. I think he is an underrated great rock bassist.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dig his playing... but I think mostly because I love his voice! He's always been one of my favorite singers.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Some of my favorite John Wetton stuff is on the live King Crimson album USA. It was unavailable on CD for a while there but fortunately Mr. Fripp decided to release it. Distorted bass everywhere - what an incredible sound! "Exiles" is beautiful, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Pt. II" is better than the studio version (IMO), and "Asbury Park" has got to be one of my favorite all-time tunes ever...

4. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    Pan American Nightmare
    Ten thousand feet funfair
    Convinced that I don't care
    Safe as houses, I swear
    I was just sitting musing
    The virtues of cruising
    When altitude dropping
    My ears starting popping
    One more red nightmare....

yes John Wetton rulith thy P-bass and thy microphone :bassist:

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I buy almost all the old Crimson live & studio stuff because of Wetton!

6. My favorite Crimson era is the 70s, John Wetton period. Red is an awesome album. Wetton is a great singer and has some cool basslines with a great distorted tone.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think Wetton always sounded better live than in the studio. Some of the live KC that I have has got some unbelievably inventive bass stuff going on. I think many rock bands bassists owe their tone to Wetton (Tool for instance). HUGE sound!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I'm sitting here listening to the first "Asia" release... my first exposer to John's bass and vocs back when it was released.

What a killer pop album! It got shoved in with the rest of the Synth pop of the day... but John was as slick a singer as ever and his signiture crunchy bass tones give it all a touch of darkness. They whole band is smoking but John just kills.

It's so true about bands today needing to pay respects to John's bass work in regards to tone.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ironically, i'm listening to Red right now. Good stuff!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's funny....a lot of times when I sit down to listen to something, I come to Talkbass to prod me into what to pick out. Listening to the live UK right now because of this thread in my mailbox.....James is right......I often overlook what a great singer Wetton is!

11. Great bassist with a great voice!!! "Red" and "Starless and Bible Black"... amazing albums with great basslines!!!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wetton's work with UK was also pretty smokin', although UK left a little bit to be desired in the way of songs. I got see Wetton live once, when he played with Uriah Heep opening for KISS.

13. I love his work with KC. USA live is really good. Red IMO shows his songwritting abilities more than his bass abilities, which is a cool thing- Fallen Angel is one of my favorite melodic tracks!

14. Also, what did he regularly play? In the Red sleeve it shows him with a cheapo looking P-bass. He must have had good technique to get those rich sounds out of that!

15. Never mmind the bass, check out the amazing coiffure!

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

simple, all he needed...

P bass
    Rotosounds
    Pick (usually)
    Hiwatt amps.

and just about any good player can get rich sounds from a P bass :bassist:

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wetton's P-bass never looked cheap to me! I thought the removed pickguard gave it a good look.

18. I don't think he ever used a pick with Crimson.

19. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have to say, that when I was a teenager, Wetton's tone on "starless and bible black" was the most awesome bass I had ever heard. I liked it even more then Geddy and Chris Squire! "lament" being one of my favorite tones of all!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My hero... swoon. I'm actually diggin KC more vocally driven tunes during the Wetton era... (Easy Money, Night Watch, One More Red Nightmare).

I shouldn't have bought all the Wetton albums first, now my urge to by "all king crimson ever" is fading away. I use to buy a new KC album every month, now it's been a while since I bought Larks.