Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Wetton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Jan 3, 2001.

1. I was a huge fan of Wetton during his Family and King Crimson days. His live work with Roxy Music was phenomenal.

Does this guy have any credibility left, though? UK was solid enough, but since them it's been Asia (who I personally enjoyed, but realized were not great), a TERRIBLE album with Phil Manzanera, and a solo career featuring some of the most treacly songwriting you'd want to hear.

He's in a new band called Qango, with Carl Palmer. Sort of a result of a failed reunion with Geoff Downes. Is he going back to prog rock, or is it more of the same insipid pop he's done since 1986 or so?

2. i am also a big wetton fan and i didn't even know he was still around. i hope his new stuff is good but if i was to guess i think it will be walking down sappy lane. i also love carl parlmer but he has yet to be involved with anything in a while that i didn't sell after i bought it.

3. I have a Steve Hackett live album from 1996 (Tokyo Tapes) with Chester Thompson and Ian McDonald. The album contains assorted Genesis, Crimson, Hackett, and Asia selctions. Overall it's pretty good, but as usual, John's voice, while actually really good in quality, isn't always the most in tune. His bass parts sound good.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >>Overall it's pretty good, but as usual, John's voice, while actually really good in quality, isn't always the most in tune. His bass parts sound good.

Really, I always thought his singing was his best attribute. Sounded great on the live King Crimson he did many, many years ago.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Wetton. Thought he played some remarkable bass during his period with King Crimson. Like the rest here, I could have done without Asia.

5. Heh...that's funny. I actually really enjoyed Asia's first two albums a lot, and Asia is what got me to listen to ELP and Yes seriously, as I was curious about the bandmembers' origins.

Yes, I missed a lot in the 70s! All I had was an AM radio that could only get a pop/rock station! All I heard in the 70s was Elton John, Steve Miller, ELO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and I thought Peter Frampton was THE best guitarist in the whole world :D :D :D

In the 70s, I did NOT hear: The Who, the Beatles, Led Zep, Hendrix, Van Halen, any progressive rock, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, none of it! I didn't know who Rush was til "New World Man" hit the Top 10 in '80-81! I'm still catching up!!!!!! I just got Who's Next last month (hey, that's a good record!). No kidding.