John Zorn's Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jun 30, 2001.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Do you know if John Zorn uses the same bass player for all his recordings? My drummer introduced me to his Pain Killer and solo stuff... wow!!! But from what I heard from his solo stuff.. the fast, slow 'thrash' (for lack of a better word) jazz... it is amazing.

sorry for the horrible wording of this post
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I don't know much about John Zorn or his bass player, but I distinctly remember seeing a tune he played at the Newport Jazz festival on TV. They (Masada) were great, and the bassist was really groovy. I've listened to some of their other stuff and didn't like it(too ambient?). But check out the song "Meholalot".
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Here's a blurb from Stuart Nicholson's Jazz-Rock: A History-

John Zorn & Naked City(Wayne Horvitz-keys; Fred Firth-bass; & Joey Baron-drums)..."the best band of its kind in the world, because its the only band of its kind, with a fluency in all musical languages & a breathtaking ability to speak them all at once".

BTW, maybe it's me-
    ...I dig Laswell's production abilities, writings, his vision(what he's about), his sense of history; I dunno, his bass playing never really floated my boat.