1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny April's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by full_bleed, Mar 26, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Does anyone one know how Oldschool got his tone on Staind's Dysfuntion album?

2. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I've been looking at staind's old pictures and while I can't get a real good look at the bass I think it's a Ibanez SR305DX. Can anyone confirm this?

3. Yes, he used to play an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string, not sure of the model. I believe the B is tuned down to g (!)

Not sure of the distortion though.

He now plays Carvin because he tried one and, "couldn't put it down because it played so unbelievably great!!!", according to the Carvin ad anyway!

4. i didn't know he used distortion, but i do know he uses carvin basses like kink said

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah I know that's what he's using now but I know that's not what he's always used. I believe he still plays his Ibanez, which ever model it is, for the bulk of their material. I've also seen him playing with what looks like it could be a Fender Aerodyne but the picture was to out of focus to say for sure.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    He now plays G & L 2500's.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    part of the 'bass' distortion you hear there (not all of it, though) is Mike Mushock's uber-droptuned guitar.

8. On the first Staind album, there is clearly some rattly bass distortion going on.

"Carvin basses play so unbelievably great - I'm gettin me a G&L!!!"
    :D

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Recent bass ads in the magazines show him with a G&L bass...

Stainds tuning is Ab by the way so it is REALLY LOW... baritone bass hehe...

He was using Ibanez SR 5 string basses before switching to G&L / Carvin?