Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnny B. Gayden

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Woke Up this morning ,put on a copy of SHowdown (Albert collins, Johney Copeland ,Robert Cray) And was reminded of how mutch this mans playing infuenced me:D Tone Taste time and most of all make it FONKY:cool: come on Give the man his propers

AJ

cazclocker likes this.
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Any One Know where Hes been since Albert Left us?

AJ

drblooze likes this.
  3. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    nice dog ;)

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Johnny B's playing on Albert Collins live albums is outstanding! He does the bassplaying on a lot of the Alligator catolog........great cat!
    Aloha, Jerry

5. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Johnny is so cool. I met him once backstage at a downtown Houston festival. I shook his hand (the man has HUGE hands) and told him what a profound influence he'd been on me. He said, "Oh you play bass, too? Right on! Well, keep on groovin' then". I left it at that; I didn't really want to bug him anymore because he was breaking down his own gear.

I was lucky to have seen Albert Collins & the Icebreakers several times in the late '80's and early '90's. The band smoked. That drummer played the most groovin' shuffles I've ever heard. The rhythm guitarist was so tasteful - the perfect compliment to Albert's style. A.C. Reed played killer tenor sax. And of couse Johnny layed down the bottom. Man, what a player. Groovin' lines and tasty tone for days.

GrammarNinja99 likes this.
  6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Glad to see somebody give Johnny his due. I'm not much of a blues guy but what Johnny did with Albert borders more on funk than blues, IMO. Amazing groove and killer tone. I'd love to see him live ~ for some reason I'm under the impression he works out of Chicago but I could be mistaken.

7. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I 've only got a best of Albert Collins CD really admired his playing.

Didn't he play on some Johnny Winters albums too.
    I'm almost sure the one where JW doesn't have a shirt on and is sporting his dragon tatoo. Uhh Nice?
    I'm pretty sure the albums Guitar Slinger.

I think he also plays on Muddy Waters Hard Again

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Andrew to answer your question,J.B.Gayden is currently living,and working in Canada.
    PEACE.
    JAUQO III-X

9. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    That cat has always been an influence on my playing. Showdown rules! I also have the video of Albert Collins and Danny Gatton at Austin City Limits. I'm not sure if that's the man, but he funks too.

10. Blueswoman63

Blueswoman63

Aug 27, 2012
    Johnny B. has never lived in Canada. He was in Chicago for many years, then a Detroit suburb (MI) and now Indiana. You can find him on myspace and facebook.

11. Yup. He lives in Goshen, Indiana. (close to Elkhart, South Bend, Notre Dame)

He is a bass instructor at a local guitar store and plays in a blues band and a cover band. I see him around fairly often and some of my friends got lessons from him. My good buddy even dated his step daughter, haha. Saw his cover band playing the monthly street fest Goshen has a a few years ago. He killed it.

12. RCG1124

RCG1124

Feb 23, 2014
    Saw him play last night in Mishawaka,Indiana in the cover band he plays in called The Whistle Pigs. Last week saw him at the Midway Tavern (also Mishawaka) with JR Clark and the All Star Blues Mob. Not only a great player but a great guy too.

13. GrammarNinja99

GrammarNinja99

May 16, 2015
    Yup, Johnny is pretty cool. He's humble, too. :) I'm lucky to call the man my bass teacher!

14. drblooze

drblooze

Apr 14, 2005
    Johnny was living in the Detroit area and playing with Rob Noll in the late 90's.
    The last I've heard he had moved to Northern Indiana and was teaching and playing.
    I met him a few times in Detroit at a few jams, he's a cool guy and always rocked the house when popped in.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cold Cuts!

16. mdlewis

mdlewis Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    His playing on the AC Reed LP is inspiring. It's like the bass is poured out of a bottle!