Johnny Cash RIP

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimK, Sep 12, 2003.

1. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Heard this sad news this a.m.
    After his wife passed, I figured it would be a short time thereafter.

He's the man.
    RIP, JC.
  2. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Man oh man I knew it was close but it's still very sad news, I have been a fan for 30 years!, He was the first music I was ever introduced to by my Grandfather God rest his sole, I learned a bunch of his tunes to play to him when I was first learning how to play guitar and he would sing them.
    All preciouse memory's.
    R.I.P Johnny
  3. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

A coupla weeks ago, I was reading on here that he had done a cover of NIN's "Hurt," and dug around for it. For those of you who haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself (and him) to take a look. It's amazing.
  4. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Rest in peace, Johnny.
  5. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    OH crud, this is terrible. My 7 year old loves him, he was just singing "Ring of Fire" the other day. (no kidding)
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    When I hear that whistle blowin',
    I hang my head

and cry.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One of The Best Ever! I am so glad to have heard his music.

I like country music in large part because of Johnny Cash, Roger Miller, and Hank Williams.

Thank you Johnny Cash. RIP
  8. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    A true legend. Lots of great memories for me. I remember my dad listening to albums like "Live in Folsom Prison." "When I was just a baby, my momma told be son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.....But I shot a man in Reno..........just to waaaaaaaaaaaatch him die.." One of the best crowd reactions to a lyric there ever was. RIP to the Man in Black.
  9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    RIP, the man in black... :(
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The man single-handedly made country cool.

Ride on.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The "Hurt" video is amazing.
    It was CMT's #1 video for a few weeks, too.
  13. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    This is sad. I've been a Cash fan all of my life
    and he's probably my favorite country singer,
    along with Willie and Waylon.

I may wear all black tonight at my gig in honor
    of Johnny. My band plays "Folsom Prison" in our
    set, and tonight will be special.

RIP Johnny Cash 1932-2003
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The video for "Hurt" really is incredible. The imagery is just stunning, and when paired with his shakey, haunting voice and melody, it becomes VERY powerful.

Johnny Cash was the original punk, the original thug, and definitely the coolest thing to ever come out of country music.
  15. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yeah, I'm sorta out of touch over here. I didn't even know about it until the "Madonna kisses Britney" thread. :meh: I know the kids won't get it, but like SoCom alludes to, he was sort of the Trent Reznor of his time.

We always say, "Rest in peace" when someone buys it, but with JC, it's more meaningful somehow. He truly deserves some peace, finally. May God rest his soul.
  16. I didn't hear this until I got to my first class today...this kid who's kind of into punk and such was talking about it. "He was the bomb, man!" Everybody can dig it.

Yeah, those of you who haven't heard his cover of "Hurt" really need to listen to it.

I only listened to some of his stuff recently, and I'm already digging it. I guess this wasn't unexpected, but it's still a bummer.
  17. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    RIP Johnny Cash.

He was no bass player but he was a hell of a musician, so sorry to see him go.
  18. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Johnny Cash Dead at 71.........
    "Johnny Cash, the country icon whose music and attitude influenced generations of artists across all genres, has died.

The legendary Man in Black passed away at Nashville's Baptist Hospital early Friday morning when complications related to diabetes caused respiratory failure, according to Cash's manager, Lou Robin. He was 71.

Cash had been in ill health for a number of years, and just last month he was admitted to Baptist Hospital for treatment of an undisclosed stomach ailment."-MTV NEWS

Johnny's gone and there are no words for the amount of sadness I feel right now at this moment. R.I.P. but live on in inspiration......

:bawl: :( :bawl: