1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Johnny Christs bass tone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rapturebass, Oct 3, 2009.

1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Not sure where to post this. I love his tone. How can i get? I have a Fender Bassman 250/210 and an Austin P-Bass. Replacing my gear isnt really an option, cuz im 12. But how should i Eq my bass? Any effects that would help get the job done? Hear his tone in songs like Trashed And Scattered, Afterlife, Lips Of Deceit etc. thanks.

2. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    your never really going tp get the exact tone even with a stingray and the same EQ settings on your amp... the only way to get close to his exact tone is to get a 'ray

3. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    well i might be getting a sbmm for christmas, or something similar (humbucker in the sweet spot). Im just as to how i should eq my amp to get to his tone close as possible

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    He plays Stingrays (some of them look custom modded) through GK 8x10's.

With your setup, a Pee isn't the ideal bass to cop that tone, but to get close and get that "grind" you'll wanna put on some new stainless steels (like DR Hi Beams), nab a pick, and boost your mids and highs a little.

However his, like many EB/MM player's tones, fit and standout in a mix b/c it's against a dense background. It probably won't sound all that awesome by itself.

I know lots of people don't like A7X but hell I'm 27 and I do, and I think he sounds pretty darned good on tape and live.

5. +1000000000

6. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    an OLP MM2 has a good tone and theyre cheap. go for one instead of a SBMM