Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnny Damon to the Yankees??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman314, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok... I know it's still NFL, NBA, and NHL seasons...

but... dayum... Boston's gotta be PISSED...

There's something... wrong... about Johnny Damon in pinstripes..

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    At least for his personal safety, he may not be recognized by angry BoSox fans after his haircut and shave...

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    He'll need a flak vest for those away games...

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wish he would have stayed in KC with Dye, and Sweeney.

There's something to be said for the Yankees determination to put a winner on the field every year. It may not always work, but no one can say they don't try.

-Mike

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    kinda funny how earlier in the year he talked about retiring, acomplishing everything and not caring about money...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Everyone cares about money, especially when it is $50+ million.

-Mike

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    when i saw that this morning, i was almost physically ill...

8. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

9. f-him. even Nomar told NY to screw.
    still throws like a girl. ;)

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, made me feel pretty sick too.

That's ok, the Yankees will still suck.

11. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I'm not originally from Boston but live here now. NEVER been a Sawx fan but have loved the Yanks since forever. I'm LOVIN' this deal but can't really gloat over my life-long Sawx fan girlfriend.

12. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    There will be mixed feelings about this one in Boston.

Damon was a wildly popular player here and we loved his style which was a mixture of flash and grit.

He built up a lot of goodwill so I don't think the fans will be too rough on him when he returns - mostly cheering maybe scattered boos at his first at bat - perhaps first game - then respectful silence.

The money always talks - in this case - the difference was $3,000,000 per year for 4 years. The Yankees offered him 30% more than the Sox - hard to blame him for taking that.

Part of how this will be viewed here will rest on the conduct of the negotiations. Damon and his agent, Scott Boras, made a big deal about wanting a very long term deal (7 years) even the Yankees were not willing to take that on after watching Bernie Williams go downhill. If they told the Sox that they would sign for 4 years and it was "just" a matter of money - then the Sox brass may have some explaining to do. However, if Damon gave the Sox the impression that he was still looking for 5, 6 or 7 years when he was about to sign for 4 years at more money - then Damon will have some explaining to do.

The best observation about athletes I ever heard is that they are what they do.

Damon has given much to the Sox and to Boston fans - I hope he enjoys NY, is healthy and happy in life and not-too-productive at the plate.

This is a good signing for the Yanks - a little risky perhaps - but they have the bankroll to survive it if it doesn't pan out.

13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Mon Rominee for President of Red Sox Nation. :)

I can't wait until the first Sox/Yanks game at Fenway.

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Gee, I sure wish the Red Sox Yankees rivalry got more exposure.

Real men & former Red Sox join the Dodgers.

15. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Quite a change when the Yankees and Dodgers start signing Red Sox cast-offs.

Ahhh..... SoCal....the land of the seventh inning dash-for-the-car-so-we-can-beat-the-traffic. Who wouldn't want to play in front of such laid back fans at least for a few innings.

And hiring he-who-must-not-be-named to manage --- yeesh. Good Luck.

Nomar's a decent guy, though wound a little tight.

16. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The signing I was most excited about was Mueller. He seems like a class guy, clutch hitter and solid defense. I heard a lot of Sox fans were sorry to see him go.

I'm not sure how Grady Little is going to fit in Hollywood. Maybe LA's ready for some hillbilly charm or something like that.

LA fans don't leave early these days if there's a chance Gagne is going to close.

17. It's ok RSN, we'll get Damon all cleaned up, get him a nice suit and a couple of photo ops with Jeter and A-Rod. Even the worst of the cavemen can be fixed up goodly 'nuff for the camera.

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    [​IMG]

19. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Mueller is good guy and will be missed around here.
    I'm not worried about Grady's charm; I'm worried about his passive-aggressive brain farts when the pennant is on the line.
    Good to hear that the fans stick around longer - I have never been out to Dodger Stadium but it looks like a great place to catch a game.

Jason - priceless and fitting. ROTFL.

Indi86 - The Yankees seem to have some experience with cleaning players up - Giambi cleaned up fine. Although with Damon, Darth Steinbrenner may want to reconsider his policy. Samson wasn't the same after his haircut - do you really need to shear Johnny?

From what I'm hearing, the Sox pretty much told Damon that the 4 years/40 mill was a take it or leave it offer.

I'm not going to blame Damon for taking the filthy Yankee loot, and I'm can't fault the Sox as they made a decent offer.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones that fall through. The Sox lucked out when the Yanks signed A-Rod and when Nomar turned down 4 years/60 mill.

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Boston offered $40 million. Tell me that's not enough and you'd screw team loyalty for ANOTHER $12 million?