1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny Lee Long: Alembic Persuader in P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Those were great basses. I had a five with soap bars that I traded for a Steinberger like an idiot.

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    DF97A56E-2672-41BF-A3C0-3F2E743CC5A3.

Here was mine. Gone, but not forgotten.

kesslari and kittywithabanjo like this.
  3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You're a brave man to admit that. That Persuader 5 you had looks smokin' hot. Can't imagine trading it for too many things. Definitely not a Steinberger.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was young, had a new job, no family, and a credit card with a stupidly high limit. That is a recipe for bad decisions. In five years, I probably blew $15,000-$20,000 on gear that really did nothing for me. I would have 100% better off spending $1,500 on lessons.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That guys a hoot...thanks for sharing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sounds Like a lesson for others here as well.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Please learn from my example! I don’t wish such a waste of time and finances on anyone!

bassbully likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Johnny does an even better demo on this new video. That single parametric tone knob is so simple to use and versatile, I really think more bass builders should use it.

9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    That’s a nice looking bass, but I don’t hear anything special!

I like the demo of the Ken Smith much better!

Anyway, cool new a Avatar Dr. Cheese. :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Hey, at least you had a job and no family. Some of us made similar questionable choices when we had a family and no job.

11. I'm sure we've all traded off gear on dodgy deals that we shouldn't have made. Our lives go on, thankfully. I once traded a handmade ACG for a Fender Jaco fretless jazz bass - the fool I am!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Just a few clarifications (my five-string Elan had similar electronics):

It's not a parametric tone control. It's actually a lo-pass filter, which travels from 350-6k hz. Closed completely, it's a very muffled, organ pedal tone. Wide open, it can sound like a clavinet-on-meth. Ron Wickersham prefers filters to traditional tone controls. Coupled with the Alembic pickups (as un-colored as the most demanding studio monitors), it gives you a wide range of tones with a very simple circuit.

Alembic later (after this bass' day) developed a bass/treble cut/boost for those who just had to have it, but the filter setups are far superior to me.

This setup will generate some comments that the J pickup isn't 'loud enough'. This is easily remedied as each pickup has its' own preamp gain, essentially a two-channel mixer if you will, so striking a balance between the two is simply a matter of gain adjustment between the two in the back cavity. I will admit it's aggravated a bit by the Alembic P pickup: They'll tell you it's by far the loudest pickup they make, so the two trim pots even this out, or to set a tone that's either neck- or bridge heavy, it's up to you.

Having said that, the Alembic pickups are low impedance, and running them right up under the strings will only yield a very modest gain in output, so you really only adjust the pickup heights for tone; but as always, low impedance pickups don't exhibit the big swings in tone or output as do traditional high impedance pickups.

Gorgeous axe. Maybe not the 'busiest' in terms of the wood recipe, not very exotic, but maple over mahogany is to me, the best 'all rounder' I can think of.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for explaining the electronics. I would love to see more makers use that lo-hi filter! I do not believe there is a simpler system offering such a wide variety of tones. I could see putting that system on one of my basses, if Alembic still makes it.

Garret Graves likes this.
  14. Dr., Alembic still makes it, and offers retrofit kits for other axes along with their replacement pickups for non-Alembic instruments.

The best source for all things and info about Alembic instruments is in their forum 'The Alembic Club', the best user's forum on the web, online at www.Alembic.com.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I could see putting that on my DJ5 or Ibanez TMB605.

16. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    Most Persuaders have a single preamp, so you can only set the overall gain of the instruments. Elan, Essence and the set neck models (Epic, Orion, Excel) also standard came with a single preamp.
    Last year they made the double preamp standard for all models and they sell a module to convert the older models: Pan Preamp

17. Hey, FCB, good to see you. I stand corrected !

FC Bass likes this.
  18. I have an Alembic Persuaders Vector, and it it truly a thing a beauty. And I am talking about the tone. One should not try to judge the tone based upon a you tube clip. The Alembic PJ pickups are some of the best of their kind. And my favorite Alembic pickup.