1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny Lee Long on a Neck through TRB-6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This bass is a beast. I had the bolt on version with a 19mm spaced neck, and that bass was no slouch either. I doubt if I will be a six guy again, but if those old TRB-6 basses are the real deal!

2. These old TRB basses are serious bits of kit. Incredible instruments in many ways. Indeed, I could lament their passing from the Yamaha lineup. Their current TRB offering is a step up in price over these babies. I would love to own one some day. I can't watch much Johnny Lee Long though. He gets his hands on some amazing bass guitars and I particularly like some of the high end kit he gets his hands on, like the Ken Smith and Pedulla basses he has shown off, but his 'wacky' schtick just irritates me. He's clearly a good player with a fine taste in instruments and I wish he could just let that be the focus of his videos.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I used to be really annoyed with his silliness, but I have gotten used to it, and I focus on his skill and knowledge.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    i think going from a fiver to a sixer would make be way easier, already being used to the B string.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It can work either way, but follow your intuition.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I went straight from a 4 to the TRB6P. Stayed on the 6 for a decade then settled on 4’s and 5’s.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Those first-gen TRB's are wonderful axes, but the fives and sixes in particular, somebody really drummed it into their heads that guys did NOT want narrow string spacing ! It was a bit much on the five and this would just be impossible for me, but what the hey, a lot of guys fly on one these things, so it's a me problem, not a Yamaha problem.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I find wide spacing very comfy. I have a bass with narrow spacing, but 18-19mm is perfect me. I would love to 20mm, like Warwick does for Broadneck editions.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Hi doc. I had a '91 green/blue TRB6P and that was one of the best 6 string basses I've ever played.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    And it had a 33 7/8 scale fingerboard and 19 mm string spacing at the bridge.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I love Johnny, such a personality.
    I hope that the next time I'm ever in Richmond, he'll be playing somewhere...

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mine was from around 1994. It was a bolt on with a scalloped body near the C string. It had the super skinny soap bars.