1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny Long: 1969 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

He told the story about how got this bass in an interview with LowEnd Lobster. I have become a major fan of 1966-1970 Jazz Basses. The have that look I love, plus they sound GOOD!:bassist:

gvbassman, B-Mac, byoung93888 and 7 others like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I wouldn’t mind a 70 birth year jazz bass.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t blame you. I know it would be cheaper than birth year Jazz, a 1960, but I can dream because I was born the year of the stack knobs!:bassist:

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    You're all youngsters -- the P bass and I were born the same year!

mikeswals and lowdownthump like this.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    No one was more cynical than me about the vintage thing. I have great basses. But it finally got to me enough to check it out. I found a legit trusted source and after some shopping came away with a 1966 Jazz, all straight. Bought from the original owner at a show, then to me.

I have 4 other excellent J's of various components, all different, all sound good. None sound like this. I became a convert. I am very lucky to have a good one.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    My first "real" bass was a 1967 Fender Jazz in Olympic White with a matching head stock, bought brand new. I was a kid, and the finish was Nitro, so after a number of years of heavy use I stripped the finish and sold it. I'm tempted to go to the Custom Shop and have them recreate the bass. If I only knew then what I know now...

Bob

gvbassman likes this.
  7. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    Thank you ,great vidio .I just traded for a 1969 Fender Jazz Bass with old school Dimarzio's, can't wait to touch it and play it the rest of my life

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know you will enjoy it!:bassist:

gvbassman likes this.
  9. gvbassman

gvbassman Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Grass Valley,Ca.
    Don't we all

RColie likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021