1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny Long is right: The TRB6 is best six ever!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is one of those great basses I wish I still had.

2. This guy is part annoying and part funny... also, when he isn't making the TRB sound weird, it sounds really really good. Dr. C - you had one for a while?

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    How many sixes have you played to come to that conclusion?

Bob_Ross, scottm and nonohmic like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I actually owned two, a Yamaha TRB6 and a Ken Smith bolt on. I played maybe six.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'd have to agree. TRB6 is the best. There's a TRB6II for sale near where I live.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. I love the Yamaha TRB, and as a six string it's particularly brilliant. However, as much as I like Johnny Lee Long, until his wacky schtick starts to grate, the basses in his videos always sound dire.

I'm not sure if the failing is the microphone used to record his videos nut the basses always sound piercingly bright and tinny. I can't believe they actually sound like that in the room where he records them, but surely he has listened back to some of these videos and noticed this. Even on my best headphone speakers, these basses just don't sound natural - and I've owned a few of them and know their sound!

Pbassmanca and SirMjac28 like this.
  8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm not sure. I'm not knocking the Yamaha 6's. I've played them and they are really well made but the sound....

For me the best representative of this is John Patitucci when he switched over to Yamaha....sorry...but he never sounded as good again as he did when he was playing his Ken Smith. The tone differences are startling. He sounds light years better on the Smith....wish he would go back.

Element Zero and Eugene.thomas87 like this.
  9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    This is the best sonic case I’ve heard for the TRB:

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Great basses but the necks are an acquired taste. Way too meaty for my taste! If I could find a 5 string with a Lakland style neck, I'd jump on it. I had a 5 string briefly but that neck wore me out.

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Modulus Q6

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I play Yamaha RBXJM2 6 string basses and love them; that TRB6 sounds amazing and has an incredible range of tone - wow! Thanks for posting.

Mrmatt1972 and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. The neckthru TRB's (and the JP6) are made in Japan (and it's amazing how few 'Japanese guitars' are actually MIJ any more) by Yamaha Music Craft, their best shop. Wonderful axes, but hard to find new ( . . . . imagine that . . . .). But I do know this: Any leftover fingerboards they didn't use, they could sell as skateboard blanks, I can never get over how wide they are. I, too, would also feel like the pickup system is a little bland.

14. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I hate that he doesn't pronounce "piezo" correctly.

Ekulati likes this.
  15. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    No one pronounces Ibáñez correctly either :) no big deal

16. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Sha ka ka Sha ka ka wish I had his luthiery skills !

nasonm and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  17. I like Johnny but as mentioned his schtick wears after a while. Actually what bugs me the most is his frequent "let's turn everything OFF and really hear the bass itself". On an active bass that means CUT everything - never makes sense to me. Things always work out though once he screams "detent!" :)

18. I dunno, I really like his Yamaha tone and I prefer it to his Smith tone. Perhaps unusual for me as I love big, beefy midrange and Smiths tend to have that in spades. But I always found his Smith sounded a little soft in a mix where his Yamaha would punch with authority. I think part of the problem was that his style of plucking close to the neck didn't suit the Smith in a mix. I will state that it sounded great on his instructional tape.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    can't watch that guy for longer than 5 seconds.
    TRBs are well designed basses though, I think! :)

xnewyorka likes this.
  20. I played Yamaha TRBs, in ALL their forms, for years! Owned two bolts, a fretted and fretless 6, and 4 neck thru 6ers, the weakness fer me were noisy electronics in the 3 band wit preset mids on the Bolt ons, Patittucci's setup, and only havin two band preamps on the old Piezo equipped TRB basses. But, that's bein bein super picky. I also owned a 95 Smith CR custom G 6 at same time. Two totally different tones. The necks were similar thickness, but the TRB is a bit wider. To my ears, the Smith had gorgeous, lush mids that the TRBs do not have. Smith is famous fer his pickups and electronics, and there's a reason. But, again, the TRB basses held their own. I think the TRB basses are more balanced, tonally, with huge lows and killer slap style sounds. In the high registers, both basses ended up about equal. But in the lows, the Smith had a more organic sound for my preferred fingerstyle rock and metal. I still say the Yammy's the best value in a high end, production style 6. Killer basses with all kinds of authority. But my tone is based more on mids and cutting thru. That is where Smith has an advantage. The Yamahas balance better, tho. And are a better ergonomic choice in my experience. Can't go wrong with either.

wmmj, rtav and Kmrumedy like this.