Johnny tries to play Greensleeves

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Johnny L, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    O.K., after finally recording something and figuring out how to put it into the computer...and then finding a free place to dump it...I have a sample for everyone to enjoy (I hope) and critique. It's me playing Greensleeves sans the guitarist I usually play with, meaning no mistake or sour note gets buried under beautiful guitar chords (LOL).

There was a train going by my house at the time...which to me came out pretty cool, but don't ask me what note it was playing.

Thanks everyone, and I hope it works for you! :hyper:
  2. It would have been awesome if the train was in the same key you were in!! :D :D

Seriously though, it sounded nice.
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Thank you, crhoton. :)

Yeah that would have been cool if the train whistled in the same key!

sorry I can't hear my own file on the computer I don't have speakers for it I'm curious what the train pitch is now LOL
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    This was the recording where I listened to my pizz sound and thought it was pooh...and got motivated to watch the Rufus Reid DVD I had purchased over the Christmas holidays.

If I did the pizz lines again, ideally I'd instead move from the E string to the A string on the chromatic move up the fingerboard so I didn't have to make such a large shift back down to I'd do the Rufus 1-finger chicken wing pull as much as possible to clean up the sound more. Still working on that chicken wing thing, though.

I stayed on the E string for the G# on up originally because the tone from my end seemed to blend more...not such a sharp change in sound...

Bowing-wise, I just stayed in thumb position. Man that high Eb is tough to nail all the time damn, but it's more consistent now than it used to be...especially in leveraging the harmonics it's real easy for me to get exposed in not hearing the intervals perfectly...and no I don't peek anymore because when I practice my scales I'm watching closed-caption TV at the same time :D
  5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    It sucks I don't have speakers for my home PC, and my work PC software blocks MP3 downloads so I don't get to hear any of you guys.

But...I can hear my wav file here and man my intonation sucks. I can really hear the 5ths intervals and man I'm way too sharp I need to calm down there and do some woodshedding on the side.

Oh, but there's another thread out there about ruby Flexocores being decent pizz strings and I wanted to make it known that I'm using them for the D and G string if anyone wants to hear what they sound like raw.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll give a listen when I get back to the fast connection at the office next week.
  7. stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    I thought the long notes sound beautiful, with good vibrato. The only thing that stuck out to me was the shorter notes, in between the longer notes. They sounded a bit rushed, like you're anxious to start the long notes. Maybe slow those down a little? Or play them with as much emotion as the longer notes.

edit: i went to go listen to it again, but its not available anymore.
    I was thinking about those shorter notes, and i was going to listen to see if you did each of those shorter notes with a separate bowing each (which might make them stand out more) or if you did those notes with one bowing.
  8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    That's interesting I'm noting it and gonna take another listen

Thank you, stormwriter :)