1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Johnny Winter's bassist - Old Grey Whistle Test

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eyesee7, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXKhwjlGAH4

I'm more familiar with Johnny Winter's late 80's/early 90's albums although I'm old enough to have seen this 1979 video... so how is it I don't know this bassist? No credits but sounds like Johnny calls him "John Parrish" at around the 26:00 mark. If that's who it is, he's also known as John Persh and played bass with Rare Earth...and died two years after this video!

What a tone, he really digs into those strings and keeps things interesting for 1/4/5 blues progressions with cool lines and the occasional chord. He switches to a pick for the second song! And later plays blues harp while playing bass!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    His name is Jon Paris. He also plays a mean harp!

3. Wow, he's really making that Jazz bass talk, in several languages. Cool to see a bass player who knows how to get the most from his instrument.

4. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Be sure to watch the whole thing. It gets better as it goes along.

*thanks, Jerry, John PARIS is still alive and well ;)...John PARRISH was a bassist who died in 1981.

He has a website:
    http://www.jonparis.com/index.html

5. Johnny Roots

Johnny Roots Banned

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks for showing this.
    Seems Mr. Paris doesnt play much bass nowadays? Well back to the vid.

6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Not so. Here is his website. http://www.jonparis.com/
    I have a cassette recording with Johnny Winter saying, "Jon's got a harp on!"
    He's a great bass player and harp player as well.

7. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Jon was in a band called Ox back in the seventies. He played bass, and harmonica in a rack at the same time. They played at a dance at my high school. He plays a strat in front of his own blues band. He's incredible!

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Sorry for a second post, but I just watched the video (again), and I seem to recall seeing Jon, in OX, a few times in the basement of a church, and they were their own opening act. They opened as Bobby and The Helmets, and did songs like Too Much Monkey Business, by Chuck Berry, and Bony Maroni, and then, after a break, they'd be OX, (guitar, drums, bass). Anybody from Milwaukee remember the names of the other players? Jon helped inspire me to take up bass.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Jon was the bassist I saw Johnny with in 1980. Blew me away when he started soloing harp while playing bass.

10. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Jimmy, You know Jon?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know him, no. But I did see him and he was fantastic. Excruciatingly loud, though. Johnny had two of those 100w MusicMan amps and let them rip. Louder than KISS.

12. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Johnny used to be a wild man. He's calmed down a little in his old age. Jon was with him when he had a problem with heroin, and I read that he helped him out during that time. The last time I saw Johnny was a few years ago at the Chicago Blues Fest. Real nice. Jon lives in New York, and has made a lot of good recordings, and always puts on a good show. He plays lead guitar in front of his own band now. He'll give Johnny a run for his money on a six string too

13. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Johnny has had some killer bass players.