Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnson AEB-2 AUB-2 Scroll Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ipodeloc, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Has anyone ever tried this things ?
    It looks very nice to me, especially the fretless ...
    $1700 - $1900
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. looks oldsk00L

3. It does not LOOK oldschool, it IS oldschool!:D
    It's an improved version of Ampeg basses from the 60's. It's a kind of "pure poetry" bass ...

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't have any experience with them, but they should be just like the real Ampeg Scroll basses. IIRC, that guy was making them for Ampeg at one time.

5. Acoording to what I've read on the site, the deal was that Johnson build the basses and Ampeg distribute them.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

i played an original at Guitar center a few weeks ago it was from the late 1960's the thing was beaten prety badly they were asking $1990. The pickups sounded a littel flat their was no where to put you thumb the neck was slightly thinner then a P neck. The thing i dont like about GC is they never maintain their instruments the action was compleatly out of wack on most instrumnets. Their pricing is so much above actual buying market example a used G&L 2000 $1200 you can get a new one for that money this was just your normal standard one, no crazy finish. But the thing i like about GC is they are allways laid out well and carry better brands then other places. As for the Ampeg bass i have been thinking seriously about getting one from Johnson i think his are much betterthen the original ,if i got this this would push the Gecko out of the picture for a whille. Thump away

7. I agree. According to Johnson, his basses are much better built than the original.
    But I still have an Atlansia in the back of my mine ... Ah japanese freaks!

8. MAJOR METAL

I was just looking at his site again and i can say for the amount of work put into each bass $1900-2100 is a steal. Anyone playing one?

9. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
  10. MAJOR METAL