Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnson/AXL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Jun 16, 2005.

1. can any one help me with a manufatures website for AXL bass guitars? ive got a tiger pro 6 string and i want some mor info on it.

does anyone on this site have one or am i the only one in the universe? ive never seen another one.

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
  3. thanks for the link but it don't really help. i cant find any info on the site about AXL basses.

any other ideas

4. AXL seems to be the name Johnson stuff was marketted in the UK during the 90s. AXL is, I believe (or was) the Johnson parent company. I have heard of Johnson stuff also being marketted under the name "Vintage".

Johnson instruments are improving. There were some truly dire examples in the 90s. I have a Johnson resonator which, with rebuilding and a new cone, has turned out really nice!

5. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    I actually got a response via email from AXL that my Johnson by AXL JJ-850 (tobacco starburst long horn) was discontinued (along with all other Johnson bass labels) in 1997. There was no follow up on my follow up questions.
    I'm curious about the double J pu's. With D'Addario pro steels, they sound pretty good. The alder body/ hard maple neck/ rosewood board, all are CLEAN, Tight and bring tone and resonance-- it screams for a p bass pickup! Very well made bass that is comparable to new Fender Standard Mexican Jazz basses, superior to Squier.
    Got no leads on date of manuf., the hardware or pu/electrical. Hopefully somebody else in TB land has run across these very playable basses and let a few secrets out. I think when a line like this dies out that the lawyers start cleaning fingerprints on anything that might be a future "liability" (warranties, some kid killing himself because he can't get Steve Harris' Alexander The Great tone, etc).
    fnord!