Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnson Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassChuck, Dec 13, 2005.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anyone tried a Johnson Bass? I bought a Strat copy Johnson guitar for my nephew and I really liked it for a 'first guitar'. Looked very sharp (important for the kids) and appears to be made quite solid.

I just did a Google for "Johnson Bass" and found several stores handling them for very reasonable prices. A good looking 5 string for around $300 new. Of course if they're neck divers or sound like crap then there's no point.

I can see they might not be the best idea for a pro, but for someone just starting, or for a inexpensive double or back-up, are they worth it?

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    In all honesty ..no...much better quality and price at Rondomusic.com look at the 5 anbd 4 stringers there....quality woods and good working basses .I have two and love them...oh yea check out the mega thread here.

3. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Think of Johnson as a kit, period. Do not expect the neck, pups or etronics to be worth using or even selling. The bodies, tuners neck plate, control plate and pickguard are okay. The selling point for me is that unlike SX, these will accept a Fender neck and the wider bridge pup. I got one in trans blue and it looks decent (can't really see the off-center seams thru the finish unless you're real close). But I knew I'd need a neck when I paid for it- I just wanted the finished body and other parts.