Johnson Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ravedj1, Jan 1, 2001.

1. ravedj1

Dec 23, 2000
    First of all, I am new here and this is my first post, so Hello everyone. I got a Johnson JJ800 Bass back in September and I was just wondering if anyone else had tried any guitars from Johnson and what you think. I really like mine but I've never seen anyone else mention them.

Oh, and happy 2001 to all!
  2. Hi.. and welcome to talkbass. :)

I´ve never heard of these basses before and I did a search on the internet and all I could find was "Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Co." it´s not that? is it?

how is that bass? do you have a pic?
  3. ravedj1

Dec 23, 2000
    I do have a pic, but how do I put it up here?

I know, I am an idiot.
  4. ravedj1

Dec 23, 2000
  5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!....:)

The Johnson line is rather new and information is limited, but I do know that the Jazz bass is one of the better copies on the market and I believe is made in China.
    It has a solid Alder body....maple neck...and decent hardware, which actually makes it comparable to the Fender MIM Jazz....depending on the finish and workmanship.
    If you don't mind the name on the made a nice choice....:)
    The most important factor is that....YOU like the bass...:)

[Edited by Deynn on 01-01-2001 at 09:15 AM]
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've heard you've got to be careful when adjusting the Johnson rod in those. Just a heads up.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bad munji! LOL:p

Deynn, that bass has a one up on the MIM Jazz, if the body is really made of alder. MIMs are made of poplar, unless you get the sunburst, it is made of poplar with alder veneers on top and bottom.

ravedj1, welcome to Talkbass!

If the workmanship on that bass is OK and you like the sound, I'd say you got a good deal.

Now I've got to go check the Johnson rod on my bass.:D
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Do you need a special tool to adjust that Johnson rod?...:D
  9. embellisher

Yeah, Deynn, you do, but don't worry, I've got the tool for the job!:eek:

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    In an effort to bring this back on topic....

ravedj....let us know how your Johnson works out....

Oh good grief....:rolleyes: :D
  11. I have a Johnson--I feel like I was born to play with it. My wife loves my Johnson too. :eek:

Seriously, I bought my younger son a Johnson junior size guitar (? 3/4 or 4/5 scale) and it sounds decent. The tone control doesn't do much and the tremelo won't stay in tune but the overall guitar tone, sustain, action, and relative quiet electronics make it pretty darn good when going throught his little Crate amp. And to tell you the truth, that little guitar sounds more than decent when I plugged into my Soldano stack!
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't take lightly to people taking my name in vain.
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The brand of my WC cleaner is Johnson... any connection?
  14. embellisher

Do neck through models have extra long Johnson rods?:)

I have an Ibanez 506 with one of those necks that exends further into the body than the fingerboard, I think it has 2 really long Johnson rods.:D

No offense meant, Brad.:)
  15. ravedj1

Dec 23, 2000
    Thank you all for the input. It seems to me that it was a good purchase. My other bass I own (my first) is a Washburn BR70 Rudy Sarzo model. Does anyone know any info on these?? Are they worth anything?