Johnson basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wicked mr happy, Feb 23, 2002.

1. :confused: Anyone ever here of Johnson basses? Are they anygood? please, i need feedback. They have alder bods, maple necks, rosewood fretboards. Sounds good, right? well if so how come theyre not in big music store chains and online shops? check em out at"

2. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I recall somewon saying they are pretty good for the price....of course I could be wrong. I was wrong once.
  3. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a Johnson A/E bass, I think I paid $175 or so for it on eBay a year or two ago. Although I wouldn't exactly call it a high-end guitar by any means, it does exactly what I got it for - toodling around in the middle of the night when the kids are asleep, playing in the park or while camping, and providing me with a totally different sound than my other basses when amped. It's well built, stays in tune, and has a slightly high but very playable action/feel to it. Although it's not the most-used bass in my little arsenal, it has its uses and it fulfills them well.

Hope that helps,

4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  5. I actually know another brand called johnson.. I´m not 100% sure is not the same, but those basses don´t look like the ones Í knew from "Johnson"..

There was an argentinian-made bass around callled Johnson xbsomething..
    Bolt on
    4 or 5 stringed
    2 band active eq
    natural oil finish
    3 piece neck
    gold or black hardware
    rosewood fingerboard
    24 frets

umm.. that´s all I remember.. It was a pretty nice bass, it was around 600 argentine pesos, wich is like 300 dollars (because of the recent devaluation of the arg. peso).I have no clue what kind of wood the body was made of, but it was dark colored, like the wood thumbs are made of (ovankol?). It looked pretty similar to a Warwick thumb or a Corvette, maybe a combination of both body desings.
    The headstock was different to warwicks´ thought...

I guess you weren´t talking about those basses, but if they are still being manufactered, I consider them very good for the price..
  6. These the same Johnson basses you see posted en masse on Ebay? Pretty generic. I think you'd be better off with a Squier or cheaper non-US Fender, at least you know the name is reliable, and would cost about the same.
  7. Argentina.....Argentina....Argentina....Eh.
  8. johnson's are pieces of crap. get a Essex or Squier WAY BETTER!
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Go with a Fender or Squier, as DanNowhere said you'll know the name is reliable and I'm sure you can test one out some place locally. The Squier P-bass is even cheaper then the Johnson.