Johnson Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I found this imitation of a SR5 on ebat and im wondering if anyone knows anything about this brand? If so are they decent? Do they suck? They are cheaper than OLPs so thats not a good sign to me. Let me know what you guys think, i am interested because it looks nice, but if it would sound like **** theres no reason to get it.
    Thanks alot!
  2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I have never owned one but here are the specs:

Suncoast Bass

Introducing the new Suncoast series of electric basses. This exciting new bass features a solid alder body and one-piece maple neck for that tone, durability, and feel that players always seek.

The most important feature of this bass is its full-range humbucking pickup. This gives the bass a much warmer and edgier tone that players need. It also has low and high tone controls to further dial in that perfect sound. This beautiful bass is available with an active or passive pickup configuration in your choice of 4 or 5 string models.

· · Solid Alder Body
    · · One Piece Maple Neck
    · · Black, Oval Pickguard
    · · One Humbucking Pickup
    · · Tone & Volume Controls
    · · Available with Active or Passive Pickup
    · · Available in 4 or 5 String Models
    Available in Black or Sunburst finishes.

I got this information from a website called The bass you are referring to lists for 179.00 on the site. They say they will match any price. Looks nice but again, I have never tried one.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    From what I have dug up in the past, Johnson is a less-than-stellar knock-off company. I'm fairly sure OLP builds a better product, at least according to the feedback that has piled up the last few years.
  4. Well that pretty well answers my questions. I think i will just go for an OLP 5er for now then. I really want an SR5 but i figure having that and my back up being an OLP 4 string passive (because i do i do not like my Cort Curbow as it is too small of a body for me) and the SR5 active would suck for on stage performance because i would have to tweak the amp between changing instruments, so for now i will just get an OLP 5 and have a 4 and 5 passive until i can get two SR5s for being on the road summer 2006. Thanks for the insight guys!
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're cheapies. The onyl thing they're good for is being a beginner bass, and making jokes. "Hey, wanna grab my johnson for a second?!" and "Wow, my johnson is huge" .. We can't forget the classic "All the ladies scream when I play with my johnson"
  6. Hahaha, i love it! Maybe i SHOULD get one haha. JK. :p
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stay away from that man's Johnson. ;)
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm just standing here holding my Johnson :D
  9. My Johnson's developing a rather nasty bow :p
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My Johnson has a HUGE head(stock).
  11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Didn't your Mom tell you to stop slapping your Johnson or you would go blind :confused:
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Oh man, after all of this abuse I wouldn't touch that bass with your 10' Johnson :bag:

and it's all Whafro's fault, he started it .....
  13. A friend of mine had a Johnson acoustic guitar back in the day, and it had by far the worst build quality, and attention to detail I've ever seen in any instrument ever. I think I could have probably built a nicer guitar from scratch.
  14. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've got a Johnson resonator abg. I got it cheap, it looks very cool. Quite uncomfortable, not well built (has that "cheap" feel), tuners slip, jack placement on the side was horrible (fixed that one).

But... not bad acoustic volume, lipstick pu gets a decent tone (sounds pretty good thru my little Eden rig), kinda uprighty. And it sounds a lot better with bronze strings. And it looks cool. And it was cheap (did I mention that?)

So yeah, what everyone is saying.
  15. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    johnson are crap. I had one. It had a pretty stable neck but when i sold it I think the skunk stripe started coming out :confused: everything else sucked, tone, playability, construction, fretwork.
  17. don´t do it pal. i still regret i buyed one of those. they´re probably the worst basses on the market :ninja:
  18. Haha, man thats funny.
    Thanks everyone.