Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Johnson Chronicles, Vol. II

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A while back, Ed and I started a music exchange so we could check out each other's playing and the playing of the other musicians that we play with. For whatever reason, we ended up calling it "The Johnson Chronicles" (as in: stepping on Yer...). I've since traded recordings with numerous folks here on the board, and it has been an extremely positive experience. I've been working on getting a mix together for Vol. II of the JC for some time now, and had promised quite a few people that I'd send them a copy when it was ready. Unfortunately, I cleaned out my mailbox a while back (it kept getting "full" and wouldn't let any new PM's get through) and accidentally deleted the snail mail addresses of those folks I promised to send a disc to. Duh. :rolleyes:

Sooo...if anyone still wants to hear any of these new recordings, please let me know and PM me your snail-mail addresses again. And if anyone else who I haven't talked to wants to give a listen, let me know. I'm not asking for any money for the discs or postage - all I ask is that if you ask me to send you one, you give it a listen. Constructive feedback is welcome but not required.

Volume II contains three duo cuts with guitarist Craig Wagner, two live cuts from a coffeehouse gig with Jamey Aebersold, Lynne Arriale and Steve Davis, and one "Conversations with Myself" type of cut with old DURRL on piano and bass. All of the tunes are standards. Let me know if you have any interest, and I'll start mailing when I can.

2. Send one to Massachusetts.

3. Anyone in particular?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Funny thing...the IRS had a folder on me under the same name about ten years ago.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    you've got mail

6. [​IMG]
    "The music of you and your brothers has been an inspiration to millions."

-Senator Kennedy, on being introduced to Michael Jackson, an older white man who is a talk show host on KABC-Radio.

Quote courtesy of Ross and Kathryn Petras' The Stupidest Things Ever Said by Politicians (Pocket Books, 1999)

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I was waiting for that one. :)

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm writing liner notes here, so you gotta send my way.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The first batch is on the way. Jazzbo, yours got sent to your old address, but everybody else's got sent to the addresses you just PM'd me. Thanks for listening, and don't be shy with any constructive criticisms/suggestions you might have.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay. How about confirming addresses before you just go flying off the handle and mailing important stuff!!!?!?! :D :D

Actually, the people who live at the address you mailed it too are good friends. If the post office doesn't forward it, they probably will on their own. I'll give them a call and tell them to be on the lookout.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I stuck one in the mail today with your new address before I got this. So if you end up with two, maybe you could shoot one of them back my way?

12. TWO Johnson Chronicles???? Isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For a PLANKIST? Not really - I figure SLABBERS need to hear what a real bass sounds like at least twice as badly as any of the Castle regulars. :)

For a REALBASSIST, absolutely. I would never send two to a REALBASSIST...as a matter of fact, I only put half as many tracks on yours to show my appreciation for all the favors you've done me.

14. And I sent you 2 tunes. Does this mean you only recorded one?

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, I haven't gotten all that much so far, but I'd be more than happy to put one together if people want to send me stuff. My PM box is always open (hint, hint).

Anyone?

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I haven't received mine yet. :(

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I got mine yesterday! The first nice touch was the fact that it was actually addressed to TRASH_BAGS! :p

Anyway, great stuff DURRL. You weren't kidding about Craig Wagner - he's got so many chops that the term "power saw" might actually be more accurate. I really like the bass/guitar duo concept, so these tunes were my favourites. I can also appreciate and empathize with the difficulties inherent with playing behind such a monster, but you did it beautifully. Essentially, I loved all of the tunes and definitely all of the bass work. This one's gonna stay in the changer for a while.

And, kudos on the recording tactics. The sound quality was quite a ways beyond what I had expected, and is giving me the Yips for an MD recorder.

Thanks again for the quick sending!

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Better than "Cats"! I'll listen to it again and again.

Seriously, it rocked Chris. You sound like you've got many more years under your belt than you do. Just proves the fact that it's the musician that matters, not the axe.

19. Pacman took the words right out of my mouth. Beautiful stuff -- even your walking lines are melodic. Congratulations on your accomplishments!

The guitarist reminds me of a guy I play with occassionly by the name of Jack Grassel. Lots of notes, yes, but all there for a reason -- not just finger wiggling.

The Aebersold/Arriale stuff, of course, is great. Must be a blast to play with them.

I'm no audio afficianado (my stereo has been caput for several months, and I listened to the Johnson Chronicles through my daughter's Power-Puff Girls CD player--sorry), but the sound overall was professional, especially the duos. The club recordings were as good as or better than a lot of the live stuff I have that were supposedly professionally recorded.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    * sniff...sniff * You know, that's the....*...SNOOOORT...* ...that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me...(wipes eyes). :( :D

Seriously, thanks for the kind reviews everybody. And remember, I'd love to hear any constructive critique/criticism/suggestions anyone might have, even if it's trivial stuff. Samuel (of "inadvertant microtonalist" fame) sent me a very long and well thought out review which included a number of suggestions of things I might be able to do to improve a few things, and I found most of them to be spot on. Stuff like that is what it's all about. Heck, you think if Ed hears something he thinks I could do better he's gonna keep it to himself? :)

On another note, I am already in posession of Samuel's excellent disc, a disc full of stuff from Ed, a minidisc of some stuff from Ray (is he ever coming back??), a CD sampler from Xavier G, and a tape of some stuff from David Kaczeroazkhfxzidjfweiuf (who has also been somewhat "prodigal" lately). I think the idea of a compilation DB CD is a good one, and I'll be happy to volunteer to put it together and burn copies within reason. So if anybody wants to send me something, let me know. Also, if you want to make some critiques of Johnson II, feel free to do it here or in an email or PM, whatever you're most comfortable with. Hearing honest feedback from other players is the thing I love most about this forum.

Well, that and the deadpan sarcasm.....