1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Johnson J-station as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smeck, Nov 5, 2001.

1. smeck

smeck

Nov 5, 2001
    London, England
    Has anyone had experience of using the Johnson J-Station as a pre-amp playing live? I was wondering about how good it sounds, and what power amp, etc you used. Would the Bass Pod or Behringer V-amp be similar in terms of sound? Any help is appreciated. :)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB!

I won't go so far as to say I've played live with it, but I've used my J-Station as a preamp to my friend's Crown power amp a few times. The kids and cats liked it.

It works well, but IMO you really need 1) the mic stand mount I've heard about and 2) a J8 pedal to have a really effective stage rig.

I'm a big J-Station fan - I loke it better than the Bass Pod, but haven't A/B'd it to the newer stuff.

3. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I own the Bass Pod and I absolutely love it! One main reason is that I seem to be very indecisive about my tone, so the Bass Pod's variety suites me well.
    As for the J-Station, my guitarist has one and I have had a few chances to fool around with it. Since the J-Station only has 3 different Bass amp models (that's not to say I just tried those with my bass, I tried the guitar models, but way too weak for bass IMHO) there wasn't much I could work with. The J-Station does have a good rock tone (I'm guessing modeled after an SVT) but other than that I didn't like it. I don't use effects too much, but I did like the Tremolo. (It's fun :p )

Another advantage the Bass Pod has over the J-Station is the floorboard options. Line 6 has a very small floorboard that only costs $69 (Musicians Friend) for simple channel switching. Or you can get one with effect on/off, wah, volume pedal, bank switching for about $250 (Musicans Friend). Johnson does offer some floorboards, but they cost more than the actual unit.

Of course Price. With the J-Station costing approx. $200 less, it seems to be quite a deal. But remember that the Bass Pod is a dedicated bass preamp and recording device, whereas the J-Staion is mainly a guitar preamp.

Note: I am not affiliated with Line 6 or Johnson, so I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm just here to give my opinion.;)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Have your buddy download the latest firmware (another advantage to the J-Station) - they've added several new bass head and cab simulations!

The Johnson pedals are expensive, but they're top quality! They do make a simple three-button up/down a/b stomp (the J3) for about US$30 street price, but the J8 pedal is the way to go for maximum versatility (including an expression pedal).

I like the J because it won't cost a fortune to keep up-to-date - the firmware is available for free download, vs. the purchased upgrades on the Bass Pod. The Pod is good, but for me the J works better. YMMV, of course.