1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Johnson Scavenger Bass JJ-440

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Sep 28, 2018.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Anyone ever see or hear this or both?

JJ-440.

manufacturers description

The Scavenger bass is perfect for slapping, popping and general funky bass playing. The bass features a solid basswood body, a flamed maple top, and a large selection of active pickup controls to customize your tone. The bass also features 24 frets for a full octave range and an ergonomically designed body for more comfort while playing. With active pickups, this natural looking bass is great for players who want a heavy and deep bass tone that will deliver in studio and live settings.

Specs

• Solid Basswood Body
    • Flamed Maple Top
    • Active Pickups: 1 J-Style, 1 Soapbar
    • Hard Maple Neck
    • Heavy-Duty Roller Bridge
    • Rosewood Fretboard
    • Volume, Treble, Bass and Pickup Blend Controls
    • Brass Nut
    • Scale Length: 34"

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Nobody? Really?

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I'm somewhat familiar with Johnson instruments, for obvious reasons. I have nothing to do with them, but sometimes I get calls from owners asking about parts and warranties, etc.

Johnson is one of many brand names used by the large musical instrument importer Music Link. Back in the early 2000's, most of their electric guitars and basses and even some mandolins and banjos were branded as Johnson. I think they get their instruments made up in batches by various companies around the far east. So there isn't necessarily consistent quality from one Johnson model to the next. They were all low priced instruments, retailing in the $100 to $500 range. Then they seemed to stop using the Johnson name for a while. In recent years, they were using other names. Maybe they are starting to use it again. This bass looks a little higher grade, more design and features. I can't say what the quality level is, but it is a low-range import.

B-Mac likes this.