1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Join a band with a singer who could use some improvement?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey guys -

I have an audition this weekend with a band who does several songs I really like, and to boot they're mostly ones I've never learned! So I get to play new (and sometimes challenging) material, but it's still covers, which is where my comfort zone is happiest.

That said, the singer sent me some videos of her solo over backing tracks, and a couple of her with the band. Now, I am confident that for the band I should probably do pretty well as a bassist, even though I haven't been in a band in 10 years. But the singer could stand to step up the vox a bit. She's all head-voice it seems, and her note trailoff many times does the dreaded "going down the slide" pitch fall that I assume everybody does at one point in their life or another. So I sorta wonder if people told her she could sing just because she's attractive, but I'm also not going to judge fully just yet. She isn't *awful*, she's just not super strong or 'on it'.

Long story short: Does cuteness of front-woman make up for lack of vox or no? Would you say something about it to her?

(second question inspired by a female friend of mine, who suggested I tell her what nobody else has, to see if it'd result in noob-respect.)

sparkyfender2 likes this.
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Cuteness can cover up a lot of things.. but stellar with good vox.. you had to ask?? LOL

Wouldn't touch that with a 50 foot barge-pole dude! In my experience that's more likely to lead to them looking for a new bass player rather than noob-respect!

3. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey, my female friend *actually* suggested it could somehow get me, er, rather more than respect - but I cleaned it up for the forum =0)

So if I go and it's lame I'll bow out, but it'd be too bad because I'd love to get back into a band that is fun; round here it seems everybody's on originals which are flat and uninspiring or covers of songs/styles I hate.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    OK... there is that side to it.. LOL.. one never knows.. !!
    I'll bow out now..

5. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    So, your female friend is telling you the attractive female singer may really "warm up" to you if you tell her that her vocals aren't all that hot?

Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding........

6. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yes, that's what she was saying. Hence my assumption that she meant out of respect. NOTE: I do NOT think this was a serious comment ;)

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Let's see. Brand new guy in band telling lead singer that she needs improvement. Yeah....that will go over well. Just sayin.

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I'm thinking there might be an "ulterior" motive behind your female friends comment..s :lock:

9. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, that's why I was asking if others would say anything. Hell, for all I know she could have gone opera-star between the time of the videos and now, so I am reserving judgement and going to the audition.

10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Inter-band-f**klery is a bad idea if you want a band to stay together. I've seen it doom bands too many times. Just sayin'. And I'd wait to mention the vocals until you've been with them for a while and have a better feel for the personalities involved. If you take the gig, that is. If you don't, do as you please.

11. DaveLS

DaveLS

Sep 5, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah looks certainly go a long way for a lead vocalist. A lot of bar goers won't even notice if she isn't perfect. If her stage appearance and attitude make up for it I say go for it.

Oh and I would never tell a lead singer they need improvement. ESPECIALLY if you are the new guy.

It's not like in the movies where you walk up to the biggest guy in prison your first day and punch him in the face as hard as you can so nobody messes with you. In real life if you did that it wouldn't end well for you.

But you would probably be better off than if you walked up to the lead singer on your first day and told her she was flat. While your at it you might as well throw in that her ass looks fat in those jeans.

12. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Alright alright let me clarify: I'm not actually trying to hook up with the singer here, I took that fully jokingly. (That said, my wife would probably say go for it. ahem.) Anyway thanks, for the thing about the vocals, seriously - all too often I want to throw my opinion out just to be helpful, and people think I'm a jackass for doing so. I would love to see whatever band I'm in doing their level best, yknow?

13. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    LOL. You have a point.

For everyone in the thread, I was NOT going to go "Hi, I'm Dave, and sister, you need singing lessons." =0)

Also good point about stage presence, which I can't tell at all yet. The two full-band vids I saw were shot with a phone and no light.

14. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    One more comment I must throw out there I think.

I'm not the greatest singer in the world so it's not a superiority complex. Many successful bands have been fronted by people I'd personally say are not good singers (*cough* Stones, Beatles, Dead).

15. If you see red flags with this singer, follow your gut instinct. Two things that can make or break a band: The drummer, the lead singer.

And no, her cuteness will not help. It will just provide more snark fodder (i.e. "Who's she banging to get that job, who'd she have to blow" etc.).

I quit a band a few years ago, and as I was doing my last few gigs with them, they brought in a new female lead singer who is, in my opinion, not very good. I've been doing this for 38 years, so if she wasn't very good to me, chances are she wasn't very good to a lot of folks. I was never so happy to be leaving a band. That would have been a routine embarrassment.

And, I kept my pie hole shut about it. I suggest you do the same and if you bow out, do it gracefully. Giving the singer the gong probably isn't going to change anything except the way these musicians perceive you. Another place, another time perhaps, but keep it to yourself for now.

16. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    The Beatles? Really??? And... you have a very understanding wife!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Illini10, Bquan and electracoyote like this.
  17. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yes! and yes! (Sadly, we are having problems now, but friends have been surprised to find they're completely unrelated to the 'understanding' bit alluded to above. Heh, I felt I had to add this sentence in case crap really goes sideways in the not too distant future and I end up having to rant about that in OT or something.)

Frozen J likes this.
  18. I was biting my tongue, but Paul McCartney alone set a standard for pop vocals that has inspired thousands of imitators. Just sayin'...

Illini10, SirMjac28 and Bquan like this.
  19. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

First things first, cuteness is simply that, cuteness. Not talent, or a legitimate reason to be involved in making music. I've seen plenty of pretty faces that can't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it.

Second, yeah, you *could* tell her she needs to work on it. You could also tell her those jeans make her butt look fat. I suspect the end result will be the same.

electracoyote likes this.
  20. If I were in this position, I'd go in playing bass and singing backup, or even lead on some songs. harmonies even.
    Then, tell her, hey, we should work on vocals TOGETHER, maybe before rehearsals. Tell the other band members if they want to help with this as well. it gets everyone working on vocal warm ups, practicing harmonies, etc.
    that way you can worth with them instead of being the outsider. add something to the mix by singing, and practicing singing with the singer.

bassfran, davegt666 and Big Hoss like this.