Join a Ska band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoseNeville, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Hi Everyone:

This Sunday I will join a ska band. I would like to hear all the advise that you can give me.

I'm a bussy bass player, I like to look for complexity on every tune, that is posible. I don't belive that less is better always, because I have to improve as a bass player. So I think that this could be a problem, I know that they want me to play the same that they have on record, but I know that I can do more and better. They tell me don't slap and other things. They are focus on the show and I'm focus on the music, I want that the band sound better that ever.

my influences are: latin jazz, salsa, jazz, fussion and rock.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If they are a 'covers' band (playing other bands music) then they will expect you to re-creat the record more or less as played (at least recognisable as the original).

I would say that they are focussed on the music not original bass music. You have imho two options, 1 play more or less what they want or 2 leave and get a band that wants your 'style'.

BTW you might have trouble finding a band as most bandleaders dont want a 'busy' bass player. Just because you can play it doenst mean that you have to.

Going down this road to the exclusion of others will mean less band offers, less gigs and less experience. You cannot improve without playing.

I personally play for other people in less than totally fulfilling situations. I also run a band that plays what I want to play. I also have a home studio set-up where I play all the instruments.

I'd say that it's time to assess what you want and how to achieve it. I'd also say join the band and play what they want. I'd also say get recording gear and develop your music whilst getting gig experience and contacts. When the time is right form a band and do your thing.

All my opinion of course...
  3. Thanks CS

They play just their own music.
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What kind of ska is this? Is it more of the current punk oriented ska, or is it the more traditional jazz oriented ska? If it's the first, simplicity in your movement will be the key. Mostly I-IV-V major scale stuff, I'm sure. And I wouldn't rule out slapping. Listen to Matt Wong of Reel Big Fish...he slaps a good bit. If it's the more jazz oriented type of ska, a solid groove is the key, but you can get much more liberal and complex with your lines. Either way, have fun with it! If it's not your thing, find another band that you fit in with better. Everyone should join a ska band! It's so much fun! :D
  5. Is a traditional Ska band. I asking for some group names and he give me, Bad Manners, The Specials, Skatellites.

Thanks SoComSurfing
  6. My advice is have fun, cos thats all ska is. And run around the fret board like a monkey on acid.

7. In Ska, the groove is key. Instead of trying to be busy, try making each note as bouncy as a caffeine addict on a pogo stick. You can make the songs a little more busy....but be aware that the bass emphasis on the 1 while the guitar plays the off beat is a major part of what makes ska ska. So, I would always stay concious of this, if you can't deal with this....then maybe its best to find another band.

Bad Manners rocks!

Good luck with the new band!
  8. Should I can use all the jazz knowledge that I have. For example play chromatic, like a walking bass lines.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Dr. Mike--That's hilarious!! I now have funniest mental image of myself on stage "like a monkey on acid" while our dancing banana runs around me.

BigWig--That too, is one of the greatest descriptions of ska I have ever heard!!

You two have given me a whole new perspective to look at my music in. Thank you!

Jose--sounds to me like they are wanting to do more of a 2-tone style. The groove is ESSENTIAL there! I think BigWig Will offerend the best advice yet by adding the importance of locking in on the downbeats while the guitar player is on the upbeats. I think your background in Latin and Jazz will help, but you probably won't get the opportunity to do too much fingerboard dancing playing 2-tone. Do you planning on using keys in the band? Or will it just be horns? Just curious about that.
    Good luck, and Skank hard!
  10. Thanks again I'm learning about this music.

The band is bass, 2 guitars, drums, keyboard, sax, trumpet and trombone.

That is true I play a lot of latin music. I'm asking for your advise because I never play this kind of music, and everyone tell me that is a simple one.

I enjoy too the Dr. Mike and BigWig Will descriptions :D

Go ahead I'm here to learn.