1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Join Copper Shielding with Something Other than Solder?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by selowitch, Nov 26, 2010.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Is it possible to connect pieces of shielding in the body cavity using some kind of electric or electronic connector instead of solder?

2. Staple them together and crimp the legs? :ninja:

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I was thinking perhaps something typically used for another purpose but which is easier than solder to attach neatly. Of course, I don't know what that would be.

4. Can't think of anything else that would be as effective, or as unobtrusive. Why don't you want to solder?

5. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Can't you get the copper shielding in the form of a tape...so it just sticks in there.

I have never done it....so excuse my answer if I'm way off.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the stew-mac copper shielding tape has a conductive adhesive, and will likely work without soldering.

soldering is still better though, and is easier than any other way of doing it.

7. I've used Stew-Mac's coper tape. The adhesive is conductive so you don't need to solder. Some people like to add solder to the points where the tape overlaps but I don't know what benefits it brings to do so.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I have the StewMac stuff in the three different sizes. I guess if you test the various segments for continuity and they check out, then you really don't need solder.

Should the pieces overlap just a little to increase the likelihood of good conductance from one piece of foil to the other?

(I'm a noob at this if you couldn't already tell. :D)

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    absolutely

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Well, that's good. Maybe merely by slightly overlapping the segments of StewMac tape with the conductive adhestive, I will get good continuity and won't need to bother with solder.

11. That will be just fine. I've done this many times with excellent results.

12. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Cool! I'm going to try to follow Chunger's approach to copper foil as described beginning here.

13. A new copper dispersion coating composition particularly useful as the copper shielding coating for plastic enclosures to protect electronics from electromagnetic interference.

Micro Pad Repair Kit

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I did one bass with aluminum foil duct tape. Since it's nearly impossible to solder aluminum, I made jumper tape by placing a small rectangular piece on a larger rectangular piece, sticky to sticky and laid it over the joints to complete the circuit; the large piece overlapped the small on all sides. So there is a home brewed solution. Copper will oxidize so it's not a good solution for that. The Stewmac conductive adhesive works good, but who knows if the adhesive conductivity will degrade? Copper looks cool, but aluminum works just as well.