Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the Cirrus Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christle, Jul 2, 2005.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Cirrus 5 - acquired this afternoon...

[​IMG]

Cirrus BXP 4 - acquired a short while ago
    [​IMG]

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Review to follow shortly - as soon as I can calm down

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

PS. Anyone have any tips on the stacked knob (it's a variable mid I believe)?

2. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    So far having played this bass for only a couple of hours I have to day it is easily the best bass I have ever owned. I love the tone and the playability. The neck on this thing is very fast and extremely comfortable for a 5-string (this is my first real 5) Tomorrow I will be taking it to rehersal and then onto a gig later this coming week. I will post a real review then. In the meantime back to practicing :D

Dan

3. Christle,where in the name of Jumpin Jesus did you find the BXP.I have tried to find one but haven't located one yet.Geartree is supposed to have them if you look on their site they had them advertised 3 months ago but always say Peavey is behind on their production and don't have them yet.I was starting to think this bass was like Atlantis,talked about but doesn't exist.Thanks Joe

4. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My local Peavey dealer has had several for quite a while now. Maybe the Canadian orders were filled early :confused:

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Is that a custom shop or something? I've never seen a Cirrus like that before. Aside from the inlay, nothing has the cirrus look. Different wood, bridge, knobs, etc, etc.

Kind of odd...

6. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Looks like the new bolt-on series.
    Congratulations on your new bass. I bought a Cirrus 4 off of Ebay a couple of months ago and I haven't been able to put it down! Great bass.

7. Never played a BXP model. The original Cirrus line is awesome.

8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You are correct. It is the new bolt-on series. Plays like a dream and I just can't put it down. With the new material I am playing I decided I needed a fiver and what can I say, I decided to do it with style :D I can't wait to take it to rehersal :hyper:

Dan

9. So how much did you pay for the bolt-on???

You HAVE to do a side by side comparisson of the two for all us Peavey fans with no cash!!!

BTW, both are great looking beasts, Congrats on your new addition!!!

~Ryan.

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I will do that as soon as I get back from rehersal later this evening. That way I can add more depth to the review.

Dan

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well it took a little longer to post a review than I had originally intended but that was because a) life b) was too busy having fun playing this bass :D

As requested I will do a side by side comparison of the Cirrus BXP and the Cirrus Bolt-On. If I missed something please ask particularly as I am sleep-deprived at the moment.

Specs
    Cirrus Bolt On (5 String Model):
    • 35” scale with 24 frets
    • Solid mahogany body
    • Unique sculptured neck heel joint for easy access to upper register
    • Bolt-on walnut neck with wenge fingerboard
    • Tilt headstock
    • All satin gold hardware
    • Hipshot mini-style machine heads
    • Individual finger-style bridge system w/ Dual Compression technology
    • On-board active three-band EQ
    • Bass, variable mid & treble control with 10 dB boost & cut
    • Two Peavey VFL active pickups

Cirrus BXP (4 String Model):
    • 35 inch scale
    • Agathis body wood with Maple Top
    • Neck-through-body
    • 2 VFL™ active pickups
    • Active 3-band EQ with +/- 10 dB boost/cut
    • Black hardware (The site says gold but its black)
    • String-through-finger style bridge
    • Pau Ferro fretboard
    • Dual expanding truss rod

As you can see the specs are related but dissimilar with the commonalities being the body shape, VFL pickups, and scale length. Of particular note is that if you get the bolt-on 4-string it is a 34" scale as opposed to the BXP which is 35". In terms of the hardware both basses are well-built. However when you play the bolt-on series it is quite clear that it is an instrument of higher quality when compared to the BXP. The BXP, to my mind, is still an instrument of strong quality when compared to some other instruments in its price range. The BXP is a much lighter bass (I played a 5 and it hold true in a comparison to the bolt-on) but that is due to the choice of woods. The BXP body is made of Agathis with a Tiger Eye Maple top while the Bolt-on is a solid Mahoganey body. However I find both basses comfortable to wear and play. The tuners on the BXP are decent, they stay in tune even after being in the case for an extended period or sitting on the guitar stand for a day or two. The tuners on the Bolt-On are Hip Shots so they have a finer adjustment for tuning which I like and feel much sturdier than the BXP tuners. Both basses have the ever interesting finger bridges and both also string through the body so in that respect they are quite similar. Where the BXP sucks in terms of the hardware is with the control knobs. They are plastic. While it may be durable I prefer the metals knobs more for their look, feel and my perception of their durablity.

Sound and Tone
    What can I say. They both have VFL pickups and thanks to the different tone woods have quite different voices. The electronics on the Bolt-On are more versatile and much more adjustable especially because of the addition of the variable mid-range control. The BXP has a fairly aggressive tone in comparison to the Bolt-On. It really does cut through the mix and has a tendency to growl in a most pleasing way. The Bolt-On is warmer and fatter sounding bass which is much closer to the sound I hear in my head. However with some tweaking of the pre-amp I can get a fairly aggressive sound so in that respect it is a much better bass. There is growl but it is more subdued. That could be because of the way I have it eq'd. The BXP has definite punch but lacks the strong fundamental you hear with the Bolt-On and original Cirrus basses. I got compliments on the sound and tone from the other band members when I played the BXP but I got even stronger compliments from them when I played the Bolt-On. They felt it fit in better with the overall sound of the band. When I listened to the recordings of one of our performances I can hear why they felt this way. You could hear the notes I was playing but it wasn't slicing through in an overwhelming way. When I played the BXP the bass sounded almost too upfront for the style of music we are doing. The BXP would probably fit in a little better with a more aggressive style of music.

Playability
    The short answer is that they both play well. This is, for me, largely due to the neck profile of the Cirrus basses. It works better for my left hand and I really like the string spacing on both instruments. I have no problem traversing the neck. I should mention that the while the Cirrus Bolt-On is my first 5-string I have played others over the years and this is the one that spoke loud and clear to me. It is now my number one bass. I also like the body shape. It is easy to work around and I don't feel like I have a big plank hanging in front of me. In fact I got rid of my much beloved Jazz to get this bass.

Conclusion
    All in all I think the Bolt-On is the better bass in terms of quality, feel and tone however the BXP is still a great bass for the dollars. It's just that the Cirrus Bolt-On feels sturdier, is more flexible and versatile and is just a tad more playable.

For a long time I had a strong prejudice against Peavey but I am now convinced that if you purchase any of their mid-range and above instruments you really can't go wrong. The only reason I won't comment on the low-end/entry level basses is because I haven't played any of them.

That is all I can think of for now. Like I said at the beginning of this post if you have questions fire away and I will answer them tomorrow.

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Great comparative review, I`ve been waiting for it.
    I`d like to know someday if there are differences (in terms of sound) between Bolt-on Vs Neck-through Cirrus.

Thanks for sharing.

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nice bass!

Thanks for the in-depth review!

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I guess I should have mentioned that the BXP is a neck-through :) It does sustain very well, perhaps just a touch more than the Bolt-On but not enough to make a difference.

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    No problem :) It was fun, I got to compare my two favourite basses. I have three, one of which is an Ibanez SRX505 which is my backup 5. At some point I'll likely sell it and get another Cirrus BXP 5 so I can have a similar backup to my new main bass.

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I like the simplicity of that five string, and the gold hardwear really brings out the shine of the wood.

By the way nice amp, I got the 2x10" and recently purchased the 15" for the bottom.

17. That is pretty close to eactly what i though you would say in the comparisson! Glad you like your new Peavey, and Im gla dyouve been swayed to believe that peavey DOES in fact make quality instruments.

On a side note, extra happy to see some Yorky owners in here, Im drooling over your 2x10 and 1x15, thats the exact setup im planning on purchasing within the nest year or so!

~Ryan

18. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks! I really like my Yorkie. In the future I will likely add a 2x10 to the stack for extra punch. Right now I mostly play through my Bass POD, using it as a DI.

19. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I really have to give credit to the store I like dealing with, they are probably the most helpful bunch of people I have every dealth with when it comes to bass. They steered me towards the Peavey. Also after playing the Peavey I am coming to really enjoy the smaller body style (compared to my Fender). As for Yorkville, they are great amps. The one in the pick is the 100, I also have a new 400 with the tube pre-amp.