Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the club...Newest multi-string member!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Aug 9, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Just want to share a few pictures of my newest toy! :D I just picked this one up a few hours ago, so I haven't really spent any time with it yet. A review will come when I've spent some time with it, but that may be a while. Anyways, it's attached. If I figure out how to inset an image in the next few minutes I'll add them in the message.

2. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I just want to say, wow, that does not look like a stable way to bolt on a neck... No disrespect to your new baby, but does it stay in tune alright?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey, I had a cherry red one in the late sixties! Bought it brand new. Have fun with it.

5. The three bolt neck attatchment was used a lot back then. You'll see a lot of vintage fenders with the 3 bolt pattern.

It looks like getting inot the upper registeres will be difficult. What are those flares on the base of the neck?

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    you mean the guitar stand? ;)

congrats on the new bass!

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats man. I remember my first bass with more than one string......:D

What's the little knobby thing on the rear near the bottom?

8. Did you play one-string basses before? :D

9. We TBers are all members ot the multi-string club i guess.. Or ar there any wash tube bass players around??

10. Is that what that is?!? :confused:

Boy I feel stupid now. :rolleyes:

11. Forgiven lol.

It's okay...heck. I wouldn't have even noticed it if you wouldn't have mentioned it :D

12. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been trying to figure that out. Every one I've found in pics and all had that. Of course, I'm still trying to figure out what all the sliders and gizmos do. Picking this up was the ONLY bright spot in my day today, so I'll love this one extra special! :D

:rolleyes:

...and the neck seems to be really stable. The actions pretty high now, but that will be taken care of ASAP. For what I paid for it, I have ABSOLUTELY no complaints, and don't think I'll ever have a reason to have any.

13. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    I have a question about double/triple string basses.
    don't the strings bump into eachother? If not, they must be very tight. which means they're very thick. How thick are they?

14. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thats the whole point. To play 1 note and have the 2 doubled strings play together making a harmonious sound. You dont play the lower octave E string differently than the higher octaved E doubled with that low E. Same principle as a doubled 12-string guitar.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, they don't bump into each other. The bass strings are medium gauge on mine(.045 - .100), not sure what gauge the octaves are. I play one of these, except it's black.

[​IMG]

16. Congrats,
    A friend of mine had one of those in the 70's and I borrowed it for a gig.I brought my own bass along also,thank goodness.We were doing rock covers like Deep Purple and Wishbone Ash stuff and the Hagstrom sounded awesome.By the time the first set was done though my left hand was almost cramping up from the extra high strings.Keep that in mind when you take it out to gigs.They really do sound great though,good buy.

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Good going Adron!
    Aren't they fun? Lot's o' noise to be made there...
    Where'd you get it?

18. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I really envy you, I've always wanted one of those.
    What kind of strings are you using, or use for that bass?