Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the Geddy Lee Bass Club!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz5757, Sep 9, 2004.

1. You may have seen a recent thread of mine entitled:
    "Went shopping for a Fender...came home with a Spector". In case you didn't read it, you missed the interesting "twist" ---the new title would read: "Went shopping for a Fender...came home with a Spector...returned the Spector....came home with a Fender"....a Geddy Lee to be exact...

The story in a nutshell is that I wanted to compare the Mex, highway 1 and american jazzes, so I went to GC---hey, it's close to where I work.... :bag: Rarely do they carry a Geddy Lee and lo and behold they have one...albeit with a horrible setup and a missing knob :( Nonetheless, it played well all things considered, but I spotted a Spector Rebop 5 for $499.00...I've been wanting 5 in my arsenal and couldn't resist at that price. However, after playing it that evening i remembered why I ditched my MTD 535 and Elrick 5....fivers may be cool but they just don't feel like home...you know what I mean? I took the Spector back the next morning and they were willing to swap it for the Geddy Lee for the same $499...sounded like a deal to me (they cannibalized another Fender to replace the missing knob).

Even with the poor setup I couldn't put that sucker down last night....man, it was so much pure fun to play!!! :bassist:
    I'm getting better at setups but I want this thing in top playing condition so my wife (bless her heart!) is dropping off the Geddy with my tech for a setup...plus with some of what I've read about neck issues I thought I'd have that checked out just in case anything is apparent now...

I've heard some complaints about the tuners but they're far more substantial than I would have suspected. I'm interested in any mods you guys may have done and the reasons for them, along with you preferences as to strings, etc....anything that has, in your opinion, helped to enhance what already is a simply amazing bass for the money. Thanks!

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Hey that's good to hear, glad you're happy with Geddy's schtick :p I'm still waiting for my reissue, but as soon as I get it I'm going to put some Labella Hard Rockin Steel's on it, those strings I can't praise enough. They're under 20 bucks too, so you don't have to boil as often!!! :D

3. You chose a fender over a Spector? OMG!

4. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Great nab! I love my Geddy. I just completed a couple mods. I replaced the p/ups with a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set. I HIGHLY recommend this. Makes it sound like a 2x expensive bass. The reason I did this is because I was getting pretty low output and I didn't like the muddy and weak lows I got out of the stock p/ups. Also, soloing either p/up sounded like crap---it sounded alright when I blended roughly 50/50 though.

I also wired a series/parallel switch at the same time. In series, it sounds like a P-bass, very cool mod. Here is a schematic:

<A HREF="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141764">http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141764</A>

Do a search, there are other cool mods talked about.

Enjoy! :hyper:

5. I'll check 'em out---thanks for the tip! :)

6. Relax Nick! I still own a NS2000 with upgraded EMG's and a Hipshot detuner----that bass smokes and I ain't parting with her---sounds like a Mack truck and plays great! :hyper:

7. Fret Boiler---thanks for the GREAT info! I figured that a pickup change may be in order but I need to take some time to fairly evaluate the stock pickups. If the low end ain't happinin' then I won't be happy---even if she plays great. Do the Ultra-jazz' come with black covers? I can't stand those white pickup covers... :rollno: i have heard that pricewise they are an excellent deal...somewhere around $89 for a set (?)....thanks!!!

8. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University

I got mine for $100, black covers definitely. Don't get me wrong, the stock p/ups did a decent job with the lows, but I wanted more. Glad I can help.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Welcome to the ranks of the Geddy bass owners club! I've had my Geddy for a month now, and have been very happy with it. I'm not one for modding a bass, so I can't help with that aspect of your post. However, I did quickly replace the cheap Fender strings with a set of DR Lo-Rider 45-105's and it made a tremendous difference in the tone. Lows were much more solid and the highs so crisp.

Let us know how you like it once the setup is complete. I can hardly put mine down. That neck is just so sweet!

Shannon

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got Lo Riders on my Geddy Lee, and have the action set Victor Wooten low. People have posted about bum necks on Geddys before, but mine is solid as a rock. I set the action on mine a few weeks after I bought it and haven't touched the truss rod since. And the bass sounds so good, I wouldn't dream of replacing the pickups. I have thought about a different pickguard and a bridge with drop in string loading.

11. Black covers---yes!! White would screw up what I consider to be a fantastic look. I'll keep them in mind if the lows aren't enough---thanks! :D

12. Ok Shannon---that makes 2 votes for DR lowriders. Whatever the stock strings are they didn't impress me much and I'm growing a lieele bored with my usual choice of D'addario's----I think i just might give 'em a try! thanks!

13. "Victor Wooten low"---now you're talking!!! :hyper: that's what I want! We'll see if my tech can deliver the goods! That's two posts in a row for the Lowriders---sounds like a winner---i'm open to something new...thanks!

14. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Fantastic bass, but I agree that the pickups have lower output than they should. They do sound great, though. And the neck, it is the best I have ever played. I've had mine for a couple years, and it has never needed a truss rod adjustment.

Overall, one of the best deals out there for a bass. I think they are a sleeper---some day they'll catch on!

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I originally got my current Geddy. I bought it from PMKelly. 1st the neck only. I was gonna use it with a Warmoth body but it was SOOOOOO heavy. Then I saw PMK was selling the body so bought it from him w/BA2 & neckplate. I ended up putting a Sadowsky preamp & Hum Canceling p/u's, Schaller Keys, b/w/b pg & a Gotoh Quick release bridge on it.

[​IMG]

16. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Has anyone slapped an active eq into the geddy? I was considering a geddy but I live in humid NC where every couple of months I'll need to make a slight adjustment to my neck either decrease or increase the bow. How hard is it to get a route in the neck to facilitate adjustment (ie how much $)? The only other thing I don't like about the passive jazz bass is where the input jack is, I'd have to drill a jack into the bottom like on a deluxe. I wonder how much fender wants for just the neck on that sucker?

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I did everything you mentioned to my bass.

18. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I just paid off my credit card so I am afraid to ask for a picture- what the hell.

can you post a picture, and list the upgrades? I don't suppose it has a tort pickgaurd too?

edit-
    Sorry I'm stupid. Your picture didn't load the first time.

19. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Also, check out this thread (jja412's post near the end, he added a preamp and routed the body for truss-rob access)

<a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141659">http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141659</a>

20. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis