Joined the Godin A4 Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Dec 23, 2002.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

more pics

This beauty just arrived today. It's got a scratch on the front and some player wear (nothing big). But it still looks great.

The jazz-size neck is easy to play and while a bit head-heavy it hangs horizontal at worst on a strap so that's not a problem either. The non-contoured body edge is the biggest ergonomic issue but that seems like it will work out OK.

It's got some kind of nylon strings on it and has some very acoustic flavor to the sound. Playing around with some palm muting (plucking with my thumb and muting with the side of my hand) leads me to believe I'm going to have to learn how to do that well with this instrument.

The bridge at least has some slots with the "pin holes" although it doesn't have any pins. While it's non-adjustable the action seems high enough for me (as opposed to the low-action folks who might think it was on the high side). As long as I keep the amplified volume up enough I can avoid buzzing.

All in all it's going to be a nice complement to my G&L L2000. Very much a different flavor.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks nice, except I don't like those nasty frets. :)
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Looks very nice. I've never played one, well because I've never seen one. :) COngrats!!!!
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Hey you got one! Cool! That cognac burst is beyoootimus...You'll like it a lot, I think.

One word of advice....if you change strings, do it one string at a time. The reason I say this is because these basses are apparently really sensitive to having the piezo strip under the bridge saddle seated *just right*. If you have a good string-to-string balance, it's seated correctly in the sweet spot. If one day it sounds like one string or more are a drastically lower volume...check that first. It happened to me after my first string change and it took some work to get it back into just the right place.
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Nice, I'm looking for a lined fretless A5. I think the strings you mentioned might be the LaBelle black tape wounds. I have those on my ABG and they come standard on the Rod Allen basses. I like them
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

It's fun. I need the speedbumps, although if I ever get the wild hair to go fretless, this would be a very cool fretless.

The strings are actually some form of Fender nylon and not tapewound (according to the guy I bought it from). I'll keep them on for the time being, they sound pretty good as long as I don't get really heavy handed.

Thanks for the tip on string changing, Mike. I'll remember that.

Now what to plan on for a 3rd bass - a Fernandes Retrospect 5 with very narrow neck? A Steinberger Spirit 4 for travel/backup? Another G&L for DGCF instead of a 5? I don't really need a third bass but can rationalize it pretty easily . . .