Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the Groove Bass 1200 / Avatar club!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GSPLBASSDC, Apr 25, 2005.

1. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    THEY'RE HERE!!!

After 4 weeks of saving and waiting, I am now the proud owner of a Groove Bass 1200 head and Avatar 410 NEO cab (4 ohms)! I'll be getting a 210 NEO cab later (4 ohms as well), but right now this thing ROCKS!!! :hyper: :hyper:

I can now retire my faithful Fender BXR 300C so it can stud little 15 and 25 watters.

Thanks to Quadzilla, Sutton, and jp1994 for the insight and recommendation on this rig combination...it's awesome

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'd look at getting a 212 or a 115 instead of 2 more 10s so you can get your low end going nicely as the Groovebass CAN go to 2Ohms if you want it to even though it isn't rated for it. Quadzilla's thread has something on that actually.

Congrats on a killer rig!

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you really want a 2x10, I'd recommend getting the B210 in 8ohm.
    That would still give a 2.66ohm load to the 1200 and each 10" driver should be getting approx. the same wattage.
    In other words, if both are 4ohm cabs, the two 10" in the 2x12 cab will get the same wattage as the four 10" in the 4x10 cab -- more balanced power per driver means less likelyhood of one cab farting out before the other sees stress.

Just my $0.02.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Especially if you play (or ever want to play) a BEADG 5 string bass.

I'd vote for the B212 (@ 4ohm).

5. How is the low end on the 4x10 Neo cab? It should be pretty good to begin with...

6. where did you get that it isn't rated for 2 ohms?

7. captaind

captaind

Apr 9, 2005

Congrats GSPLBASSDC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the Kustom Groove 1200 does everything you want it to do and more!!!!!!!!!!

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

huh??? It's rated for 2 ohms. They did do some testing at less than 2 ohms on the head (1.2 I think) and it was able to do it under load for 24hrs straight with no issue. Cool!

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Oops that's what it was the 1Ohm testing my bad :)

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good suggestions from all...and thanks for your comments!

I hadn't really thought about mixing the impedance on the 2 cabs...makes sense though. I'll give that some thought, lo-freq

The head is rated at 2 ohms...runs all day @ that, which was one of the reasons I got this head in the first place

The 410 NEO has custom drivers that have 50% more cone travel than the standard 10" cones. More air pushed = fuller tone in all frequencies...especially the low ones. Add to that, the unit has been tested to have a freq. response of 40hz to 3.5 KHz. Doing a quick comparsion of the other cabs tell me that the 410 can handle my low "B". My ears tell me I have plenty of booty shakin' lows w/o the muddiness that my combo had and tons of punch that it didn't, so I'm pleased thus far.

I've heard that Dave is discontinuing the 212 in favor of a 212 NEO...I'd probably go for that one if I got a 212....but a 15 is out of the question

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Why would a 15 be out of the question?

12. Congrats,you should love that rig.

I use a 410 Neo with my five strings and the low end is fine on the low B.It's cool to have one cabinet that will handle almost any gig and sound great and not kill you're back.I think the 210 Neo is a good idea or even a SB112.I've used the Avatar 112s with my Eden 210xlt and they added bottom to that cabinet also.A 212 or 115 would be nice but that would be another large cabinet to haul.If you like your 410 Neos bottom end the 210 would be a good pick.

Again,congrats,that rig should cover about any job just the way it is.

13. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Based upon my previous experience with 15's, I'd like to have a more responsive driver.... 10' or 12's work best for me...especially when I start slappin'

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sage advice ...from another Iowan, no less!!!

I'll think about the 212...I don't really care for the asthetics of the 112, though. I know you mainly buy cabs for tone, and the 210 NEO isn't lacking in that department, but the symmetry of 6 10" cones in an array is visually appealing as well...to me anyway

The idea is to have the 410 for 90% of my gigs, and then add the 210 (212) for larger venues.

15. Where did you find this information if I may ask.

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go to www.eminence.com and clink on the "Deltalite" drivers....those are the NEOs. Regular Deltas and Pros are listed as well

17. Okay thanks. That's what I was wondering. If the specs you listed were on the driver or on the cab.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That's crazy 3 Iowan's in one thread I thought I was alone in the corn fields out here.

After seeing you playing as a slapper I'll have to agree that a 15 wouldn't do you much good and you need more punch than rumble.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL! Looks like we've got Easten IA, and Central IA...where are you? Go to show the other TB'ers that we've got more than square dances goin' on here (ha,ha)

I had a 15 on my Fender combo and thought I was sounding pretty good...until I got a wireless and walked to the back of the church...man, did the light come on that day or what!!

20. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Congrats