Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the GS112 club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rok51, Jun 24, 2003.

1. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, I joined the GS112 club yesterday...kudos to Gard at Bass Central...I ordered my pair of cabs at 3:30 on Friday and they were delivered at 5pm on Monday!!!
    Initial impressions were good-second impressions were-"WOW, this is really the ****!!" My sweet wife , who was suffering from a migraine was lying on the couch three feet from my pair of GS112s, F-1X, PLX 1602...and some unidentified idiot(me) that insisted on pushing the limits of this rig. She commented(trouper that she is) that the cabs went REALLY deep! My first attempt was with my Peavey Cirrus that I have replaced the preamp with one from a Millenium in order to get the sweepable midrange. I have experienced a loss of gain-approximately 6db-with this board...I am actively working on a solution, as I definitely like the sweepable mids. The cabs sounded great! This afternoon, I tried my (higher gain) G-bass. Unbelievable! One GS112 got my attention...two got my oath of fielty.

Just another report(this time from a certified 'old fart') These cabs are the real deal...if you are looking for the 'classic' tones in a small package. Check these out.

Kim

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I too went the way of the GS112. I sold my my SWR 2x10 and 1x15 rig to get a pair of these. IMO they are just as deep, if not deeper than, my old SWR rig. I love these cabs.

I also picked up a GS212 for on the fly gigs that I do not feel like carrying two cabs and so I could have a rig already setup at the house. The 212 is just as impressive as a pair of 112's. It is slightly less deeper than a pair 112's, but with the right eq'ing I can make sound just as thick as my 112's.

I love my Aggies.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sweet!!!

right now i cant decide if i wanna go with a 3x10 or pair of GS112's. but great that you found a killer tone. with the Alembic pre, it prolly rocks hizouse!

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I'm joining the GS410 club this weekend. Woo Whoo for Aguilar.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I sold my preGibson, preKaman Trace Elliot 2x10 combo and TE 1x15 cab because two GS112s have all the low end I need. And they are a helluva lot lighter! I love my Aggies too.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    that's kinda the same thought i'm having. lugging that eden metro and d115xlt around is starting to KILL my back...and the back of my car, too...i'm thinking about getting two of the 112's and a mesa m-pulse 600.

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm also gassing for a pair of Aggie 12's. My combo is just too awkward. I would like some recommendations for a suitable head to drive them with. I would like it to be light weight, at least 300 watts, tuner out, and a mute switch. Eden, EA, GK, or ??? Any ideas are appreciated...
    Thanks!

8. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I hope I'm getting one next month...:bassist:

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, I like them SO much (they are MY tone) that I plan on buying another pair as soon as I can sell one of my Peavey stacks.

Pench: As far as heads with your requirements, I gotta pass. My recommendation is to take the plunge and get a preamp/power amp combination. It really gives you a whole lot of options not available with a 'head'. Additionally, you will be able to upgrade much more easily in the future. I have an Alembic F-1X, which is great for me. I also have an Ampeg SVT III Pro...I'd be a cinch to buy the SVP Pro preamp!. The Kern's are wonderful, as are the Demeter's, Aguilar's etc.
    A long-winded treatise, but bottom line...get a preamp that you LOVE! The rest is easy!

Kim

10. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Rok51,

IMO, I would seriously check out the GS212 before you go the way of another pair of 112's.

The GS212 comes equiped with removeable casters and is only 1 cab to move instead of 2 (112 x 2).

When I have my pair of 112's side by side with my 212, it looks brutal.

I installed a set of removeable casters on one of my 112's. This is nice so you do not tear up the bottom of one cab, it is easy to move your rig around on stage, and so when I run my 212 and 112's together the bottom of the cabs are the same level.

I paid 640.00 for my 212 from Bass Central (that price was with the shipping to the Chicago area). A pair of 112's will run you 800.00.

11. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    How does the 112 do for low B? I have a tiny (1 cu ft) cabinet I built that's flat to 32hz, and sounds great - except it's only good for 50w, and the real kicker (or lack of kick) is that efficiency is a paltry 84db 1w/1wm. It makes a great cabinet for playing with unamplified acoustic guitars and such, up to lightly amplified AG's and vocals - but she canna give enni moore cap'n. I have a sealed 15" cabinet that begins rolling off about G, but still works for the B and nothing blows up because it's a sealed cabinet. I'm a little leary about taking a ported cabinet below Fb.

I've got a Carvin PB-200 head, and I'm looking for a still reasonably small, will handle low B without eating drivers, and has enough efficiency to play with drums and electric guitars at modest levels.

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Can't address the low B thingy as I'm a 4'er. The GS212 is a great cab...but I like the modularity of taking 1,2,3 or 4 cabs, as needed (actually-after playing with the pair of GS112s, I honestly don't think I need another pair, but I WANT them anyway! Honestly, I LOVE these cabs! I haven't A/B'd them against my Peavey 410TX (tommorrow?) but they are Godawful loud. Absolutely no farting bridging into either one or both cabs with my PLX 1602. I know that they have been described as having 'scooped' mids...as have my Peaveys. They do...but not as much as my Peaveys...hence, to me, it's like the mids have been boosted. The cabs themselves vibrate more than my Peaveys (way dense!) and as a result, I am working on solutions to keep the sheetmetal on my PLX from vibrating in sympathy to some notes. Another point I'd like to pass along. The current GS112s use the P-Audio horn. This is a blatant copy(as are ALL of P-Audio's designs) of the ubiquitous Foster/Fostex horn that is in so many of our cabs. While I like the power handling of the Foster, it always seems on the verge of being 'harsh'. The P-Audio horn is much smoother and less obtrusive.

I can't recommend the Aggie over the competition...because I I haven't tried the EA, Bergantino, Epifani, Avatar, Genz-Benz, etc. However, with input from you fellow forumites, I was able to make an informed decision, as the Aggies were so well described in many other threads and were depicted, tonewise, volume-wise and size-wise as just what I had been looking for. I, most assuredly, am NOT disappointed. My heartfelt thanks to everyone on this
    forum for their accurate, insightful assistance!

If I can provide any answers concerning these cabs, either post, pm or email me.

Kim

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I HAVE JOINED THE AGUILAR GS410 CLUB. Now to get a smaller cab for smaller gigs. :)

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, I A/B'd the 410TX with the Aggies yesterday. The 410TX is rated a 98db 1w/1m, the GS112 is rated at 102db with the same parameters. This would seem to reflect that it would take the 410TX twice the power to equal the volume of the GS112. Not really...but one GS112 is perceptably louder than the 410TX, despite giving up a whole bunch of speaker area. I had hoped that two would be as loud/louder, but I never expected that one would. I can see now why others with the Peavey cabs have commented about how much louder Eden, Genz-Benz, Avatar etc. 410s were after playing the Peaveys. I have never been hurting for power with them, so it really was never an issue. I still like their sound and durability. I spent hours yesterday (again, insert understanding, long-suffering wife here) comparing the two cabs. For comparison, I used a single GS112. The Peaveys had more of an upper mid bark-courtesy of the 10 inch cones. The Aggie was simply clearer, cleaner with much more definition of each and every note. The Aggie also was deeper(!) than the Peavey. While the Peavey didn't struggle with the lows, they tended to be somewhat less defined than the Aggie and without that 'roundness' that a larger driver can give. I peeked inside the Aggie(I, know, I know!...it's just the 'techie' in me!) and was extremely pleased with the materials and construction used.
    This was intended to be a very short addendum...Oops! I'll stop now...:rolleyes: