Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined The Lakland Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Today fellow TB'er cb56 and I met and did a cash and trade deal. I ended up with his old 55-01. He didn't like the wide string spacing. I haven't played it much yet. My daughter is fighting sleep and my Tascam Bass Trainer is hanging up in the effects sections so I can't get a clean tone. I have done some low amp playing and I like this basses tone. The finger sound is articulate and the slap sound is distinctly modern.

This bass doesn't feel like an instrument that sells for $700 new. It's fit and finish, at initial glance seems on par with my SR5. I guess this would probably be a $1,500 bass if it were made in the USA. Although my SR5 has a great B string. The 35" scale on this bass does really let that low string boom. It reminds of my old Modulus Quantum 5 when I hit it. The neck feels great. It is wide and solid. It is exactly like the neck on a 55-94 that I have played in music store in St. Louis a few times. It will really be interesting to see how I respond to switching between my SR5 and it close string spacing and the wide spacing on my 55-01. This bass has a passive bypass, but that is purely a default. This bass was clearly designed to be played active.

Appearance wise, this bass is black with black controls and chrome tuners. The fingerboard is rosewood. Although I prefer maple for its looks, this is very handsome bass. I got this bass to be a backup to my SR5, but I suspect it will end up being a co-partner. I know I have said before, but I cannot imagine having two better basses for less than 2K altogether. Unless I go boutique, I cannot imagine better performance. I will definitely lay off basses for a long while and improve my amp situation.

2. Congratulations.....I know what you mean about pricing...I got a really nice brand new in box Fender Marcus Miller yesterday out the door for $700 at GC......killer bass at twice the money!!

Peace,

T

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Welcome to the Lakland club!

As you already know they are amazing basses for the cost, and the fretwork and construction is top notch.

Congratulations on making the plunge, and reaping the benefits.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Welcome! I'm an -02 owner myself, but I know exactly what you mean!

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys, I am definitely gonna being playing my Lakland alot. I'm also happy to say that cb56 told me that my old MIM Jazz sounds better than his MIA Fender. That was why I got it instead of that Geddy Lee. Oh well, I have ended with another fiver which what I originally set out to get any way. I kind of wish, however, that last year when I started up grading my instruments, that I gone on and got a Lakland in the beginning because I always wanted one. :rolleyes:

I know its different strokes for different folks, but Music Man and Lakland are for me the perfect combination. After my daughter gets bigger and we have a another house, a Sadowsky or some other such exotic bass may be the ticket, but that is a long ways off for now. As I said in an earlier thread, I'm grateful for what I've got. :cool: :bassist:

6. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Dr
    Thanks for the review . I am suppose to get my brand new 55-01 tomorrow from Bass Central . They are very hard to find . New ones have a waiting period till November .
    I tried to find a used one and even talked to cb56 about the one you got , but I had my heart set on a sunburst .
    I know Lakland does not put out junk .
    I only played one 55-01 . A local dealer had one that was damaged in the store . Someone dropped it on its face and where the knobs are , had cracked the top of the control cavity .
    Are'nt the frets kind of small ?
    Enjoy !!! Welcome to the club , I will join you tomorrow .

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess the frets are pretty small. I must admit, that's not something I usually notice. Gecko, I hope you enjoy that 55-01 when you get it tomorrow. In just one evening, I really have been impressed with mine.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Welcome to the club...but wait a minute. I thought that passive bypass wasn't really a passive bypass....I thought it was an EQ byass.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, man.:cool: 55-01s are about the best 5 string bargain around. A pro quality five with a great B string for under $700? Yep!

[​IMG]

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had a 55-02 and loved it. I wil be back in the club next week when I receive this 44-02 fretless.

[​IMG]

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico

wow,nice bass,i like your baby,GASSSSSSSSS :D

12. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I always liked what Groucho Marks said... "I wouldn't be a member of a club that would have me as a member" However I love my two Lakland 55-02's and so I'm proud to be in this club. By the way IF Lakland did an american made 55-01 it would cost more than $1700. By the way at my store the Skylines are coming in very regularly now. I guess the backorder situation is over.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No, it's a total preamp bypass. It works with no batteries installed, you still have volume and blend, tho obviously the eq knobs do nothing. However, the main issue with it is there's a huge gain diff, so if you find yourself having to use it 'cause your batteries died and you don't have access to any others, you'll have to reset your wireless or preamp input gain stage significantly to compensate.

14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Hah, that's wierd! I traded my MM Jazz to TB'er DWbass for his 55-01. According to the FedEx website it should be delivered today, although AJ's thread has made me a bit nervous.

Speaking of wide string spacing, that's what DW didn't like. I have an RB5. Anyone know the difference in spacing between the RB5 and 55-01?

Congrats on the Lakland Doc, BTW.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, I don't know about the RB5, but if it's a more traditional 5 string spacing, it's probably 17mm at the bridge. The Lakland is the 19mm spacing that most slappers like better (similar to 4 string spacing)... especially for double-thumping and double-plucking.

16. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    What I was told was that the RB5 neck is a 6 string neck, so that as a 5 string, it maintains the string spacing of a 4. This makes for a rather wide neck, but I'm used to it after having it for 8 years. I'm hoping the Lakland will be at least similar.

17. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    That's exactly what happened to me, I had my SR5 first then I got the 55-01. For a while my SR5 was my backup! Glad you like your Lakland, welcome to the club!

Aug 6th Kansas City, MO. The Hurricane at Westport Rd and Broadway. No Cause/No Cure, Changing Faith, Love45. Starts at 9pm!

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm looking forward to getting off of work and really playing my 55-01. Last night, I couldn't crank it because I was trying to get my daughter to sleep, and it took a while to get my Basstrainer to act right because I couldn't find my manual.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Fender RB5 has "wide" string spacing: nut width is 1-7/8", and string spacing at the bridge is 3/4" (19mm).

I believe the Lakland USA fivers have 3/4" bridge spacing and a nut width of 1-13/16"... I'm not sure if the same holds true for the overseas models.

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass